Dad Arrested For Shooting Daughter In The Hand

Onthemark

attachment.php

A Texas dad who accidentally shot his 10-year-old daughter was arrested over the weekend. Colleyville Police say 53-year-old Steven Johnson of Colleyville, was allegedly showing his gun to friends who were visiting his house when it discharged and a bullet struck his daughter in the hand.

Police say the bullet went through a wall, hitting the girl, who was in another room at the house.

The victim, who has not been named, was taken to Baylor Emergency Medical Center by her mom. Authorities say the victim was then airlifted to Children’s Medical Center of Dallas.

Officials say the girl is recovering and has since been released from the hospital.

Johnson was arrested after hospital officials called police and reported the incident.

“From the circumstances officers observed at the house, they felt like they had probable cause to make an arrest for injury to a child,†said Colleyville city spokeswoman Mona Gandy.

He was taken to the Keller Police Department Jail and faces charges of injury to a child.

Attachments

• TexasDad.jpg
    TexasDad.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,638
Last edited by a moderator:

JulianWilliams

There are way too many tragic accidental deaths in the US due to gun owners not knowing what they're doing regarding safety. Perhaps it's time to introduce some mandatory safety courses before people are allowed to buy weapons, or if there already are such courses they should see if there are ways to improve them. That girl could have easily been killed.

Muthoni

This is very sad because the child was in another room and still got shot. According to all the stories I have been reading recently guns do more harm than protect the owner. I hope that this girl does not get traumatized because it must been a scaring experience for her. It is unfortunate that she could be separated from her father due to an accident.

jeremy2

In as much as i feel sympathy to the dad,i agree that he should face charges for being reckless.Thank God the bullet struck the little girl on the hand.It could have been worse.

warmweatherwoman

Just another idiot who will give the government a reason to ban guns. Why was the gun loaded in the first place if you home and showing it off- just pure stupidity that we will all end up paying for in the end.

Onionman

In his defense, it was an accident. But it was still stupid to be showing it off in the first place, least of all having a loaded gun to toy with. And of course, the fact that a lot of people have these things in their houses in the first place is only going to make more of these types of accidents more likely.

Gabe

It was an accident, but it may make him think twice about guns. What if it had killed her or one of his friends? Guns shouldn't be so freely available as it's clear many people handling them are not capable or responsible. If he continues to use guns, he is a fool as now his child will be terrified. Maybe he will get banned form using guns which won't be a bad thing. Many people survive without them.

mairj23

This was a very fortunate situation for the girl. She's very lucky that the bullet didn't kill her. Yes, the officers made the right choice with arresting the individual in this case, even though it was accidental. Goes to show how dangerous guns can be as you need to be more careful with what you're doing.

timelord731

I know this is really unfortunate and unlucky, but how was this man supposed to know that his daughter was behind that wall? I'm just confused on the nature of the crime.

May102014

At least the girl is okay now and her father is really facing his consequence for showing off his gun to his friends. Gun owners should undergo training on how to handle their own gun and know what are the safety measures in having it and how to be safe and be careful in bringing it at home. As a matter of fact, we should not allow to have own gun because it is dangerous and not for unskillful person.

katherine25

I'm glad the girl was okay and its unfortunate the father was charged but there are way to many accidental deaths in the U.S because of their gun laws. Its to easy to own a gun and pretty much anyone can own one. I seriously think the U.S needs to take a step back and really reconsider their gun laws, if it were up to me Id make it illegal to own a gun, period.

lushlala

Obviously this was an honest mistake and an unfortunate accident. Thank God the little girl is ok and it was the hand rather than a very vital part that could have resulted in a very tragic outcome. As I always say, with gun ownership laws being so lax in America; there are many guns in many households, so people need to be extra cautious in handling them. Guns just scare me!