How Anonymous Are We?

Teens In Crisis

If you have a tip to give to the police, know someone is committing crimes, or doing something equally heinous, and you bring it to the local police, how anonymous is it really? Will you be forced to testify if it goes to court? Can that be anonymous? What if it involves family and you really don't like what they are doing but want to remain safe and "hidden" from retribution?

Gelsemium

It depends on the situation, but I suppose that if we make an anonymous call there is really no way we can be tracked down is there?

DancingLady

I don't know. I'm pretty sure any cell phone call can be traced now days. I don't think they would do it because they say you can give an anonymous tip, so I would think they would respect that.

shreklock

I think you could tell your lawyer or the judge everything you know so that you wouldn't need to go to court.

Peninha

Calls can be traced sure, but it's necessary a legal procedure to do that, we still have some rights.

Patrick

You should remain protected and anonymous by law during the court hearing, however, there remains the possibility of your identity being leaked if the appropriate safeguards are not in place. The police involved in your case could intentionally sell you out, or accidentally give away some information regarding your identity. Also as mentioned there is the possibility of wiretapping phones and other communications devices.

askanison

Most communities have an anonymous tip line you can call. Most will tell you that you will not be called upon to testify if something becomes of it. They will just say we received an anonymous tip and that is it.

Teens In Crisis

A few years ago I went in with some information that I had regarding a crime and someone living in my home, they promised it would be anonymous, and boy was I surprised when the cops showed up at my door to talk to the guy, and came right to me like we were old friends. They maintained no level of anonymity and basically left me with an enemy for life. It kind of sucked. I guess I should have called it in then.

DancingLady

Wow, that is not cool. Did they forget that it can be dangerous to report on your neighbors in the first place because they could retaliate and you can't just up and move because of the situation?

milyjohnson

This is a good question. I wonder how anonymous we really are. You would think that we would be protected if we wanted to keep our anonymity. You would think a phone call would be the best way to keep things private, but phone calls can be traced. I think the best way to handle it is by talking to a lawyer and they tell you what you should do.

Profit5500

Most communities have an anonymous tip line you can call. Most will tell you that you will not be called upon to testify if something becomes of it. They will just say we received an anonymous tip and that is it.
I would have to see how reliable the anonymous tip thing is. If I have info I would not want to give it to the police sine they would not protect you from anyone.

Teens In Crisis

It was a pretty horrible experience, and I ended up moving 2000 miles away from that person in the end. They 110% knew it was me by the way the officer was calling me by my first name, and asking follow up questions.

I'm sure not every case is like that, but this one really sucked. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

januz101

If it involves something like a political corruption or something more grave like a murder or rape that is currently happening then I think the case would be weak than if an actual eyewitness would really testify. But overall, your anonimity is protected if you dont want to testify. If you can carry in your conscience that a murderer or rapist is out on the streets roaming free.

Teens In Crisis

It's a tough call to make. In a recent case, a friend had loved one was "living" in a house where the owner had died, weeks ago, and had simply put them in the trunk in the garage. It wasn't a situation like murder, it happened naturally, but they did not want to move, or be "inconvenienced" by the case. They were also looting in the home, and that was something he really felt guilty and bad about. In the end, he couldn't live with the knowledge, so had to report it.

camsdad

I know people who are involved in some shady stuff, I just tell them to keep their business out of my life. I don't want to get wrapped up in anything, and would rather not have to participate in having to put them away. I'm saving myself the trouble because if someone tells me something, and then they get caught, they will think it was me who snitched even if they just happened to slip up.