How should Veteran Cops be punished for abusing the law?

Shimus

If the offense wasn't severe enough, I believe they should be demoted and forced to go through the police academy again and then have a partner on them at times to keep them in line. As the state of the matter stands around here, they would get a slap on the wrist and then go right back to doing it. Nobody learns like that. If the offense was grievous (like bashing someone in with a baton or police brutality) then of course firing and then sentencing is the only options left.

so my question is this:

What do you think?

Rainman

Police officers should have no immunity from prosecution for crimes committed when they are wearing the badge. Should a police officer assault a suspect who didn't provoke them then they should be tried as any other regular Joe and be hauled of to prison should they be found guilty. That IMO would help deter the bad police officers from engaging in criminal activity because they'll be treated as any other criminal.

Gelsemium

I think that a police officer, a veteran police officer or a regular citizen should be treated the same way, they are not above the law and the law applies to all.

ally79

I don't think that veteran cops should be sent back to the academy I think that they should be removed from duty or placed on desk duty where they no longer have any interaction with the public.

Kittyworker

I don't think any police, veteran or active should be treated any more leniently or harshly than what the general public is. I don't stand up for this 'set an example' crap and states that a cop should be punished more harshly because they have broken the peoples trust. Police are human and everyone errs.

missbishi

I understand that we are all human and we all make mistakes, but I really don't think a cop should be allowed to remain in the police force after being found guilty of a crime. It sends out such a bad message to the public and implies that cops can get away with anything. In these volatile times, this is the last thing the police need right now.

tanker

A police officer is supposed to serve the people, and people put their trust in them. A police officer caught breaking that should be dismissed from the force, and the face a punishment three times was a regular person would face. So if a normal sentence was 5 years, the police officer should get 15 years.

This will serve as a strong warning that the trust of the people is not to be broken.

shilpa123

The cops should be equally punished just how citizens are punished. There should not be any partiality. It is best if they learn how to take care of law rather than just break it.

KenBrace

Banned
I think it should be handled the same way a regular citizen should be handled. If they were caught speeding, then they should receive a speeding ticket.

However when it comes to major crimes like store robbery, murder, rape, etc. they should of course loose their jobs and receive whatever punishment a normal citizen would have received.

JoanMcWench

I know everyone is under the opinion that regardless of who you are the law should treat you like everyone else. I'm on board with that. However, given all the examples through out the ages, we should know better. That's not how things go.

I would find it interesting if the police were held to a higher standard legally. They should know better & they're abusing the trust the community puts in them.

Gelsemium

That is a good point Joan, but at the same time they don't need to be punished harder just because they were cops, I think that the law should be the same to all.

JohnBrock

Officers breaking the law should be punished as severely as any other member of the public. In fact I consider it worse if a veteran officer breaks the law since their duties extends to being role-models for the remainder of society. (of course things such as traffic tickets should not necessarily warrant dismissal from service though)

Shimus

I consider it worse as well. They need to set examples, they've been doing the job for the longer period of time from their co-workers, and if they foul up horribly it should be public and it should be shameful. They were role-models who swore to a code and honored to protect and serve. If they're protecting and serving themselves, it's time for them to get the axe in grand fashion.

Profit5500

The cops should be equally punished just how citizens are punished. There should not be any partiality. It is best if they learn how to take care of law rather than just break it.
I think that a senior officer should have the experience and know better than the officer barely getting into the job. If any officer screwed up et then let them be punshed.

JohnBrock

I think that a senior officer should have the experience and know better than the officer barely getting into the job. If any officer screwed up et then let them be punshed.

of course they should be punished, but it would be insensible to punish them harder than others based on their experience, even if if they should know better.

All in all the topic remains the same, veteran cops should of course be punished for ABUSING the law, and by abusing I don't necessarily mean breaking it, abusing authority is equally bad in my eyes, and should be punished as severely...

shilpa123

The cops must be punished very strictly and taken care of in the right manner
I am not really sure that people are actually happy to see the cops behave that badly. It would be really discouraging for them.