Man Fatally Shot By Police After Mother's Stabbing

Onthemark

attachment.php

Police in Massachusetts fatally shot a man armed with knives early Monday just before finding the man's mother stabbed to death on the front steps of their house in Weymouth.

Weymouth Police Department received a 911 call at 1:04 a.m. reporting a need for assistance at the home on Prospect Hill Drive. According to officials, two police officers and an ambulance responded.

“When the officers got there, they were confronted by a white male who was kind of agitated, who gave the officers some great pause,†said Norfolk District Attorney Michael W. Morrissey.

“We’re still investigating this matter, but the individual appeared to be armed with a couple of knives and he came at the police officers.†Morrissey said in a statement that Patricia Campbell, 72, and Paul Campbell, 49, were both residents of the home.

According to authorities, when the officers arrived to the scene, they found the man in an apparently agitated state and was armed with several knives.
Both officers felt that deadly force was necessary and simultaneously opened fire on Campbell. He was taken to South Shore Hospital, where was later pronounced dead.

Police then discovered the body of Patricia Campbell with multiple stab wounds on the front steps of the home. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
“While the cause and manner of death will be determined by the office of the Chief Medical Examiner, there was evidence of stabbing injury,†said DA spokesman David Traub in a statement.

Neighbors were surprised by the incident. They said the quiet neighborhood is tight-knit, and Campbell was very friendly. “She was a wonderful, neighborly lady,†Mary Brennan said. “She was private, but always pleasant. This is a very sad day for our neighborhood.â€

The two police officers were not injured at the scene. Both officers have been placed on administrative leave, according to protocol, officials said.

“The two officers are very experienced; 10 plus years, for one of them and the other one has 10 years as well,†said Morrissey. “They are well respected, well trained officers obviously a little shocked about what they found when they got to the scene. But they, as a result of the shooting, they were transferred to South Shore hospital for treatment and I understand they were released. I’m not sure that you ever get over the fact that you’re involved in a shooting. I’m sure they have to be evaluated, there’s a mental toll. They found a difficult situation and they responded to a difficult situation.â€

[video=youtube_share;kez6NqTU2Eo]http://youtu.be/kez6NqTU2Eo[/video]

Attachments

• bostonmanshot.jpg
    bostonmanshot.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,562
Last edited by a moderator:

shandrum

This is terrible!!! What is up with all these grown men killing their mother's? I hear of at lease one a week on the news of a son taking his mother's life.

tanker

A knife can be just as dangerous as a gun. Any cop will tell you this. The economic down turn and too many adults being forced to live with their parents is probably contributing to this problem. It is really hard for a younger male to get a good paying job where he can be self sufficient.

Lots of money for new immigrants, no money to improve the economy and help real Americans.

JulianWilliams

Sad to hear such news. Hopefully the police will be cleared of any charges. Something there's nothing they can do and they have to use force to protect themselves and the public.

Muthoni

Anyone who kills their mother is not human. It does not matter how bad she is, she took care of them when they were venerable. This person died before he could pay for his crimes. Maybe in the worlds beyond he will get his punishment. He took the life of a good person who was happy to live.

jeremy2

That man deserved what he got.Killing one's mother for whatever reason can never be justified.My heart goes out to the poor mom who had to endure such a painful death.

warmweatherwoman

This is so sad. Two lives lost. To easy of an out if he was truly responsible for stabbing his own mother- they should of shot him to stop him in a non deadly area and let him rot in prison remembering his mother for the rest of his life.

Onionman

It's sad when domestic violence leads to two fatalities. No one knows the full story behind the tragedy, and I'm guessing none of us ever will. The police were just doing their job so they can't be blamed for their role.

katherine25

There was something clearly wrong with this guy. first I think you would have to be pretty sick to kill someone never mind your own mother and second who thinks they are actually going to run at police officers with a knife and succeed? I don't have much sympathy for those people who are willing to take anothers life so I personally think he got what he deserved.

Josie

Not saying it was justified, but why is she so innocent just because she's dead? I honestly believe parenting makes a man (or woman) and most parents are dictators (in my opinion). He may very well be crazy, but nobody knows his story and often times, parenting leads to SOOOOOOO many issues.

And this would be yet another instance that cameras on the cops would have come in handy. When there is no video, it's very easy to SAY how it all went down. This guy needed to live with what he did.