Man Stabs Friend Over $5 Bet

Onthemark

attachment.php

A Florida man was arrested after police say he repeatedly stabbed his friend over a $5 wager.

51-year-old Anthony Lemar Mells from Broward county was arrested and charged with premeditated attempted murder Sunday.

According to police, Mells and the victim got into an argument over a bet. It isn’t clear what the wager was for. Police say Mells allegedly stabbed the victim several times.

Mells was ordered held without bond Monday during a court appearance before Broward Judge John Hurley. Mells' attorney said he stabbed the victim in self defense.

Police have yet released the victim's identity. The victim was taken to the hospital, and his condition is unknown.

Attachments

• AnthonyLemarMells.jpg
    AnthonyLemarMells.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,638
Last edited by a moderator:

donnalynn47

Wow people will do just about anything to one another these days. A five dollar bet caused one friend to turn on another like that is crazy. I'm pretty sure drugs, and alcohol played a part in this as well.

jeremy2

I can only urge the police to carry out speedy investigation and let the truth be unveiled.I suspect there could be more to the 5$ wager.It's difficult to comprehend how a grown man can just stab another person for such a small amount of money.

RingoBerry

I don't know if I should even be saying something like "I've heard of a man killed for less" but unfortunately I have. There was a man in the Philippines killed over a bundle of eggplants and it didn't even cost a dollar back then. As crazy as it may sound but it does happen.

westmixxin

To be honest it's the same with me I’ve heard of an individual being killed for less to be honest Ive known individuals that have been killed for less.

Onionman

Crazy what sorts of things trigger violence. Desperate men seek desperate measures perhaps. He clearly isn't in a good space but it's tragic when these types of stories arise.

timelord731

Crazy what sorts of things trigger violence. Desperate men seek desperate measures perhaps. He clearly isn't in a good space but it's tragic when these types of stories arise.

I assume that anybody who attacks and stabs someone over 5 dollars is not within their right mind.

Gabe

If it was self-defense, where are his injuries? I don't think you can call them friends, not now anyhow, but it must have been a drastic attack because the self-defense plea only works when you take reasonable measure to protect yourself and multiple stabs isn't.

Whattt????? I would definitely have to agree that this man must have been desperate or have an outside contributing factor like drugs or alcohol because this is just plain crazy!

Allison2021

I wonder why the police have withheld the victims's identity?
I heard of fighting over trivial matters on a monthly basis. I am sad to hear that a man lost his life in that fight. Often the people involved are so angry over their life's circumstances that they express their anger and rage by fighting. They have learned to communicate anger by fighting. Sometimes that anger is fueled by drinking or drugs. It is still so sad to read about how another man lost his life over nonsense.

thegrey1

WTH? There is surely more to this story! Some friend! Surely there was tension between these two that we don't know about. I've been ticked off at some of my friends for a lot more than a $5 bet, and I never thought to solve it this way!

mairj23

What can I say, this one is totally ridiculous. A five dollar bet? This guy is getting what he deserves and they should prosecute him to the fullest. Also it was premeditated. Society is so backward now a days but this is why you shouldn't engage in certain activities like betting.

oraclemay

People are becoming like animals, completely out of control over nothing. They have lost their ability to reason about even the most simple things. I wonder what they would think if they could watch a video of their behavior and see how foolish they are?

Ispanico

People are becoming like animals, completely out of control over nothing. They have lost their ability to reason about even the most simple things. I wonder what they would think if they could watch a video of their behavior and see how foolish they are?

I don't think it's fair to make such generalizations, I'm sure things like this have always happened throughout history, and I'd wager they've gotten better since the time where we had people as fucking slaves. I find that a lot worse than a probably extremely drunk man making an awful decision when out of his right mind.

I don't condone this whatsoever, I just think your reasoning isn't quite sound.

Strykstar

Wow, it's not everyday you read about a stabbing purely on principle, it can't have been about the $5, he was just mad at his friend being a lying cheat!
Either that or the bet is just a flimsy excuse for a regular stabbing situation.

May102014

This is really out of desperate to think that you killed a man out of a bet. And I think maybe it's more than a bet, that maybe he has a long grudge on his friend that during that bet, there's something that triggered his anger inside him. Nevertheless, he's really making a bad decision and if there were no other reasons why he killed his friend, then there's really a problem with him.

If both parties were so desperate for 5 dollars, they should have just kept it to themselves. People shouldn't make bets if they are sensitive to losing. If the person won the bet fair and square, then he should be able to take his five dollars without being stabbed. People need to get it together and think before they act.

Clairelouise84

Wow, this is just insane, literally. He stabbed his friend for $5? he can't have liked him that much then really can he? Plus if the $5 meant that much to him then he really should not have gambled with it.

SF13

This is completely ridiculous. $5? Attacking or killing someone for any amount of money is a serious issue, but if $5 was that big of a deal to him, maybe he should have just not gambled.

katherine25

This is really scary to think someone would kill their friend over $5.00!! I think there is a lot more to the story although who knows, maybe he had a very poor financial situation but in that case then he shouldn't have been gambling! Such a sad tragedy.