Man vows to join Islamic State after arrest and kill the officer who arrested him

Rainman

Just yesterday I was wondering how cops react to threats of this sort. It's like everyone on the wrong side of the law now sees ISIS as their heroes. Two men arrested a month back said they'd join after they left prison, kidnap and behead an American. This other man though, actually threatened the police officer who arrested him with swift vengeance once he gets free.
A Tennessee man charged with drunken driving on Thursday told the police officer who arrested him that he would join the Islamic State militant group and seek revenge, "A Tennessee man charged with drunken driving on Thursday told the police officer who arrested him that he would join the Islamic State militant group and seek revenge."
Police said the man continued to make threats even after he had been taken to jail.
He might have been drunk but maybe he'd been thinking about that all along?

LuckyGirl08

That is kind of scary. I could never be a police and have to deal with what they do on daily basis. There are a lot of people seeking revenge on police who have arrested them or killed one of their family members. Their life is always at risk with so many people who do not like them. I think that the man had this planned out all along, that is not just something that a drunk man would come up with that quickly.

stevesxs9

Yeah I think this man was already thinking of trying to harm the Police. I don't think joining any Religious organization would stop him from attempting to do harm to somebody.

Rahstyles

It may have been the booze talking but it does seem that every crazy person is now mouthing off about ISIS in a weak attempt to make themselves feel important.

Muthoni

People say things that have been on their mind when they gain false courage after drinking plenty of alcohol. I hope that this criminal is not given a chance to carry out his threats. There is nothing bad like someone with nothing to lose, they can do the unimagined.

helaofthenorns

This man has serious issues. Why would someone even contemplate joining ISIS?! I get that he is drunk, but just because someone is drunk doesn't mean that he is unaware of his surroundings.

Profit5500

That is kind of scary. I could never be a police and have to deal with what they do on daily basis. There are a lot of people seeking revenge on police who have arrested them or killed one of their family members. Their life is always at risk with so many people who do not like them. I think that the man had this planned out all along, that is not just something that a drunk man would come up with that quickly.
I guess this is why most police departments look for ex military people since they have been on the battlefield. You have so many crazies who want to rip you apart and kill you. So you would have to just be mentally prepared when dealing with these nutjobs.

Gelsemium

I don't get how people make this "conversion" to religion through violence, it's really a sad mark of our times.

Determined2014

I do not think it should be taken lightliy, some people best explain themselves well when they are drunk, unless hee blows himself up aftr doing that, he should expect to be in jail for some long time.

js85

These are the types of situations where you should take precautions and just lock the guy down. If you can't make a joking threat about having Ebola (like the viral video of the man on the airplane), then you shouldn't be able to make terrorist-like threats like this. I have a pretty sinister sense of humor sometimes, but being threatening crosses a line.

askanison

That was the booze talking. I wouldn't take anything a drunk says seriously. After a few hours sleeping it off in the drunk tank he probably won't even remember saying it anyway. I know many people make threats when arrested due to anger, but really how many follow through with it. I wouldn't think many.

shreklock

I think he is a serious threat and should be taken to a mental hospital. I would not trust someone who throws threats like this, certainly not if they are (or want to be) part of ISIS.

Patrick

This is an extremely insensitive comment to be making, considering how ISIS has resorted to the most underhanded forms of violence, murder and kidnapping to further its means.

Even if the man was drunk, I think it shows some serious moral problems on his part. The police should take no chances whenever someone makes a threat like this, even if it is an empty one. The man probably has no idea about the gravity of the situation.