neighborhood watch groups (helpful or not)?

What kind of problems have you guys run into with neighborhood watch groups. Do you find that these groups really do cut down on the number of crimes that happen in a particular area? I lived in Florida when the Martin-Zimmerman incident happened and I was wondering how officers truly view these groups? Are they more of a help or a hassle?

Rainman

It depends on the neighborhood. I've lived in places where there was some kind of neighborhood watch groups. I noticed that not too many crimes were committed in there. I think that for preventing burglaries and the like, neighborhood watch groups can be great. I believe some cops believe such groups are great while others don't since sometimes criminals do join these neighborhood watch groups. And what happens when they do?

lushlala

Luckily for me, I live in a gated type area, with security at the gate. So it's pretty safe. But I have heard very heart warming stories about neighbourhood watch groups around the country. People really pull together as a community and will drop everything to come to the rescue of a neighbour. Some will even take it in turns to housesit for each other when their neighbours are on holiday, in a bid to deter break ins. People feel safer and it also promotes community spirit. I think they're great.

Gabe

Most neighborhood watch groups in the UK are fairly laid back and are more of a network type of thing. People don't get too involved as they know the police have to be involved and is more of a preventative measure. Here, also if you are part of a scheme you get a reduction in your home insurance.