Officer shoots and kills unarmed man now protests and violence erupts

admin

Administrator
Staff member
missouri_violence.jpg
Violence in St. Louis Missouri erupts days after the shooting of Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer. Eye witnesses report that the police officer was the aggressor, and that Michael Brown was shot while raising his arms in the air to surrender. The officer who shot Michael Brown reportedly said that he only shot Michael Brown in self defense when Michael Brown reached for the officers gun.

Ever since the incident there has been protest and marches which have now turned to violence. Angry crowds have thrown bottles at law enforcement and police have dispersed flash bangs and tear gas in an effort to disperse the crowds.

Another witness reports seeing struggle between Michael Brown and the officer through the window of the police car when the officer began to shoot. Reportedly when Michael Brown was running away the officer shot at him again possible hitting him in the back. Eye witness then says while Michael Brown was in the process of raising his hands the officer shot several more times, killing Michael Brown. The officer has not yet been identified.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muthoni

The police will be able to establish the truth with the help of the eyewitnesses present at the incident. It is wrong when someone in authority uses their position to commit a crime. Sometimes people make mistakes and it is necessary to have all the facts before making a conclusion.

Allison2021

I believe that police officers generally will only draw their weapons when frightened for their lives. That said, there was an expectation of police procedures to gain the absolute truth.

I would expect that witness oral and written statements were taken by the city's district attorney's office. The shooting victims's blood was tested for drugs/alcohol testing. Testing for distance and angles of bullet entries, and an autopsy, etc.,.

I would have expected any officer involved in a shooting would surrender their weapon, submit to drug/alcohol testing, submit an oral and written statement to their Policeman Benevolent Union President, and to their attorney representative. That officer is innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

Gelsemium

Being a police officer and making a mistake can cost a life, this could have been the case or not because there is a witness saying that it was no accident, an inquiry must determine the truth now.

Riggy

Just shows how I split second decision completely turns someone's life around. Gut instinct may not be the best choice sometimes but there's nothing you can do about it. Scary thought really. The officer must really feel terrible for what he has done.

warmweatherwoman

This incident has struck a cord throughout the entire United States. There are reports now trying to label Mike Brown as a villain and the police officer as a hero. There are cops everywhere wearing Darrin Wilson bracelets in support of the officer. Yet the fact remains that this town has been plagued by racial injustice for a long time. It has been noted that the police force although in a predominately black area is predominantly white. People say color isn't the issue, I beg to differ.