Police-tracking app

Onthemark

Sheriffs are asking for the popular police-tracking app to be disabled.

"I can think of 100 ways that it could present an officer-safety issue," executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, Jim Pasco said. "There's no control over who uses it. So, if you're a criminal and you want to rob a bank, hypothetically, you use your Waze."
.........................................................Sheriffs Want Popular Police-Tracking App Disabled | NBC4 Washington

Last edited by a moderator:

Kittyworker

I don't know how effective it is in America, but its also offered here in New Zealand and I have never seen it be accurate. If police really want to kill this thing off all they need to do is post a bunch of false claims on the app. If people realize its unreliable they will stop using it. I know I only used it for about 3 weeks before I got fed up with the false reports or no reports. I felt like I was the only one in my city who used the app apart from those who made false claims.

mrsbright

I did not hear of this before. It's interesting, and what Kittyworker says makes the most sense.Though that could cause confusion among the cops themselves, right? If they make false reports. Also, a waste of time, too.

primalclaws1974

Sheriffs are asking for the popular police-tracking app to be disabled.

.........................................................Sheriffs Want Popular Police-Tracking App Disabled | NBC4 Washington

attachment.php

I have never heard of this at all. But it doesn't make a lot of sense. Who keeps it updated? Civilians? How could they keep track of all the officers? This is no different than radio and TV reporting where speed traps are. The officer is really worried over nothing. There are plenty of ways to learn where police are. But as it is ever changing, none would be effective enough to safely commit a crime.

missbishi

I've never heard of this app before either. I take it that it's a place where peole can post when they have seen police cars/officers at a certain location? It seems pretty pointless to be honest - considering they move about all the time.

Profit5500

I've never heard of this app before either. I take it that it's a place where peole can post when they have seen police cars/officers at a certain location? It seems pretty pointless to be honest - considering they move about all the time.
I did think there was such thing as a app like this. I did not think that a app would be able to locate police. I need to see more of this app.

donnalynn47

All these apps they have come out with are about crappy. Yet in still I suppose if a decent one hit the market that could actually do what it says it will. Then yes don't put officers at risk ban it asap.

tanker

I don't know how effective it is in America, but its also offered here in New Zealand and I have never seen it be accurate. If police really want to kill this thing off all they need to do is post a bunch of false claims on the app. If people realize its unreliable they will stop using it. I know I only used it for about 3 weeks before I got fed up with the false reports or no reports. I felt like I was the only one in my city who used the app apart from those who made false claims.[/QUOTEe]

For it to be successful, it would need some sort of way to gauge the accuracy of the users. I don't really think it can be implemented properly. Maybe when google glasses become more popular, it could have an app that automatically identifies police, and then uploads the information. But yah it makes sense, right now it doesn't seem to be much of a threat.

blur92

I can see the concern the police force may have, but this sheriff uses a poor example. If someone is going to rob a bank then they are already planning on the cops to be in the area. Security is there, and once anything goes awry police are going to be called to the scene.

shilpa123

I believe there are quite a lot of reasons why this is very logical. A lot of people have trouble understanding that police security is very important aspect of living a good life in a society.

shilpa123

I do not think police tracking app should be used in any way. I think it is quite dangerous for civilian as well as police. People should refrain using such apps.

Gelsemium

If it's something that is not working correctly I agree that it should be disabled, I mean, it's something that it's suppose to help, not cause damage.

musicmonster

I would like to think it's cool but it's not exactly reliable. I don't suggest this and it's not even safe for cops as well.

JoanMcWench

I can see the negative side to this but, honestly, if you were robbing a bank & wanted to know if the police were on their way you would likely have a police scanner already. So, maybe there's more to the reason the officers don't care for the idea.

dyanmarie25

I haven't heard of this app before. Well, I must say there would be both pros and cons in regards with using it. But yeah, it seems a bit pointless to me. If there's a crime, I'd rather just contact the authorities right away than rely on this app. Just saying.

Diane Lane

Most police I know are very careful about their identities, for good reason. One federal agent I worked with didn't even let the local police know who he was, and that he worked in law enforcement, because there was a lot of corruption in that force. I know many use fake identities online, because there are people out there who will target them or their families, so I don't like the idea of this app. I think it is in our best interest to enable the police (and their families) to be as safe as possible, so they can go about their jobs without any added worries about being tracked and possibly ambushed.

FuZyOn

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people that are complaining about Waze and their Police-tracking ability but I can honestly say that there is too much fuss made for no reason.
Professional criminals have much more stronger devices to track officers and they probably don't rely on an app.

jesuslover0314

I honestly don't think this is a big deal as they are stressing. Waze is sort of like a GPS app that has many interesting features. However, no where on Waze is there a police tracking feature. People can add where a police officer is sitting so others will know, but no means does it track them constantly. There is no possible way to add a feature such as that to an app without a tracker placed on a police vehicle.

thomas pendrake

An app designed to show the location of uniform police "constables on patrol" would be useful for everyone. These officers are meant to be visible, and people frequently need to "find a cop". The minor negative of allowing criminals to avoid the patrol officer is trivial.