Should Vigilantes Be Arrested?

Rainman

I read some article about a Taxi driver in NY who helps fight crime at night. Maybe there are more like him out there. Now, supposing such a person was found at a crime scene or actually helped take down one of the criminals, would he be arrested for that if say, he used excessive force?

js85

Eh.... I'm torn. I think citizens should be proactive to an extent, but not take the law into their own hands. There's a group in Chicago called the Guardian Angels, who are a non-profit group that patrol for crime - but they call the police when there's something going on.

JoshPosh

Banned
From my understanding, citizens can make a citizens arrest. However there is a fine line when it comes to physical detainment. If a guy is hitting a vending machine and destroying private property, then the cops need to be called in. But if a guy is beating the crap out his women in public then I assume you can take him down just to stop him, not to hurt him, but to stop him from hurting his girl more.

Rainman

If communities had legally recognized vigilante groups that would help police in case they need [their help] would there be less crimes committed? Some statistics I came across alleged that [every year, in the U.S] vigilantes murder 100 or so people who [are] believed to be robbers. If these people were to suppress their instincts to kill in the name of justice and actually helped identify [or even apprehend] the criminals [because the law allows them to] wouldn't it be much better?

Riggy

I personally believe that they should not be arrested. What have they done wrong? They have helped the community and given the police force a slightly easier day and allowed to spend more time, resources and officers on other matters that may even be more important than perhaps a small robbery etc. As long as the vigilante is not going through excessive means and endangering others to stop a criminal.

milyjohnson

I don't think they should be arrested either. They are helping people by stopping the criminals. If they didn't hurt the criminals, they should be allowed to help the police. It's too bad vigilante groups couldn't be given the right to help out the police with the criminals.

Profit5500

I would be careful of being a vigilante its come with many risk. I would not mind seeing someone helping to detain a suspect running from the law. The issue is that some people view justice differently. So I would not want to be in the way of the vigilante if they are a violent individual.

askanison

If you helped report crimes or stepped in when someone was being attacked then no. Going as far to attack someone or attempt a citizens arrest should be a huge no no. Batman isn't real for a reason. You dress up and attack someone for a crime they committed they can get off because you are not an officer of the law. You would come out better filming them as the commit the crime and turning them in.