Town's favorite cop is cold and heartless!

KrustyKrabella

Ada, Oklahoma has a police officer who is well known to be cold and heartless. Some even call him a dummy right to his face! Yet this officer is by far the town's favorite cop!

How Ada, Okla., Warmed to Its Cold, Silent New Cop - WSJ

The police chief in Ada decided to park a CPR dummy in frequent speeding zones, and it's working! People see the car, with what appears to be a cop inside, and slow down. It's costing the town nothing, and solving a problem.

Good thinking!

ReDGuNNeR

Yes, in my town/city the cops do the same exact thing. Parking a police car is already a major detterent for most citizens but adding a human-looking figure can help immensely with fooling others in an area that needs police protection. In my city's case it's a crazy intersection that connects to a major state road, but citizens eventually wisened up when they realized the empty car just sits there every day.

The cops noticed this and they now move the car to several locations as well as add clothing/items to make it look like an officer is inside. They haven't bought a dummy yet but I'm sure that's going to be the next step soon enough. Very clever!

stevesxs9

That's a good public interest story and whenever you can deter speeding or any other crime it should be welcomed and appreciated.

ReDGuNNeR

Saving lives is always a commendable effort but it seems the police are always playing "catch-up" after citizens figure out that the police vehicle is only being used to what they feel is intimidation. It's so unfortunate that police departments have to come to these measures actually.

That reminds me that in the early 90's in Brazil a politician hired all the street performers to work as mimes who would then laugh at speeders and other drivers committing infractions. This was another clever way to get attention to this sort of offense as well as generate a large amount of public and worldwide interest in your city. Apart from the obvious benefits of saving lives and reducing harm caused by vehicular accidents.

DancingLady

I don't know why a cold and heartless person would be a favorite even if his presence is resolving a speeding problem. There's more to being a good cop than ticketing speeders.