Would you be worried about job security?

True2marie

I have been working at this office for about six months. The company is old but most of the employees are new. Even the president hasn't been around for more than six months.

I didn't know know this coming in as a new hire. This fact along with a few other things makes me worried. I can see this place going under soon because no one with experience stays.

stevesxs9

No I don't worry about job security because ultimately its out of your control. All an individual can do is the best job possible and adhere to rules and regulations of a particular company. Its just something you have very little or no say so over.

True2marie

No I don't worry about job security because ultimately its out of your control. All an individual can do is the best job possible and adhere to rules and regulations of a particular company. Its just something you have very little or no say so over.

True.

I am going to keep my resume up to date, though. There's so many things about this company that irks me. From lack of communication to malfunctioning equipment. I don't want to get too relaxed just hear the doors or closing.

Ricardo187

In such a situation and when you can't control it, the best you can do is look for alternatives, be ready for when it goes under, if it goes under. You should also save some money so you won't face problems if your job ends.

PhilA

I would not worry about it as that does not help. But from what you have said it sounds like there are better jobs out there for people with those skillsets.

askanison

If you are that concerned the best thing to do is update your resume and get it circulated. I wouldn't worry though. Just because the company is fairly new doesn't mean it will ultimately go under any time soon. You may be in on the ground floor of something big, you never know.

davidj96

Right now I'm not too concerned with job security, but I probably will be once I retire from the military. One of the reasons I signed that contract was because of job security. I know how much I'm getting paid each month, I know all my benefits that I'll receive and I know my contract is in a good standing. Now, if I were to graduate and get a job at McDonald's or something similar, I'd be worried to death about walking in one day and not having a job.

bala

I would play the devil's advocate here..isn't it human tendency to be scared of losing the job.You can have it in your control as long as you stick to the norms and make sure you are in the boss's soft corner.it is also human tendency to worry what next for him if he loses a job.The global market isn't booming with opportunities so we ought to be perplexed about losing the job just in case.

Muthoni

I worked in a small family business for four years. The boss would threaten me with dismissal when he felt in the mood for it. I used to become very anxious at first until I decided that what would happen would happen. It is one year and five months since I resigned from the job, I have never been happier. Your life will go on no matter what happens in your place of work; give the best you can and let the unknown work itself out.

wulfman

I think everyone has to worry to a certain extent in this day and age. There is just so much competition and a replacement is a phone call away for most people. Scary times.

DancingLady

I have never believed in job security myself. Even if the company is stable, you could lose your job if there was a fire, a dramatic change in the economy, an industry drop. I think we just all need to be prepared always for the possibility of not having a job tomorrow and put our trust in God to provide, rather than our company.

Patrick

Job security is something that is fading, as the world becomes more and more borderless. The only way to remain relevant is to continually adopt new skillsets that are in demand.

Determined2014

If I was working there I would be worried about my job security, because if it is an old company, yet all the employees are rookies, I would like to know what happened to the previous employees, because the same way they lost their jobs, is the same way you can loose your job.

btripp2

I am not worried about job security because I will be working in cyber security when I graduate from college. Cyber security is one of the most relevant fields today, among other STEM majors. I was speaking with officials from Dell and if you are really good with cyber security you have the potential to start out at $80,000. Now a college student like me would love something like that coming right out of school.

jeremy2

I have been working at this office for about six months. The company is old but most of the employees are new. Even the president hasn't been around for more than six months.

I didn't know know this coming in as a new hire. This fact along with a few other things makes me worried. I can see this place going under soon because no one with experience stays.
It would be interesting to know the reason for the high turnover of employees in that company given that it has been around for quite a while.I can only urge you to follow your instincts and avoid getting caught in the same script of you getting axed for whatever reason.

Nate5

Remember, everyone in this world doing things for themselves. If you get fired, that's unfortunate, and you have to accept that things are sometimes out of your own control. With the advent of technology and the internet, it's so much easier to learn new things. Whether it's fixing cars, coding, or mathematics, there are so many things you can learn to add onto your resume. Prepare, network lots, and hope for a better economic environment.

primalclaws1974

This makes me think of the place my wife and I work at. The company itself is 15 years old. They bought a factory that was previously used for something else, and spent a lot of money to refurbish it. They then hired a lot of people, but the turnover rate is high. Then they shut down one of their plants. They then added a second shift when the first shift people were making so many mistakes from not being properly trained, that money was just flying out the window. This compounded with the 1.5 million they spent on the plant, probably another half million in upgrades, and I don't see the company surviving. There are few managers and supervisors there that have long-term experience with the company, but they seem as clueless as the rest. To answer you, yes, I would be concerned. I know I am.

GlacialDoom

Especially in my country, where we don't get any threats at all, I wouldn't feel worried about job security. I think that in a country like the USA, you should be worried, but then again, in OP's case, there's nothing he can do.