A coworker put his hands around my neck today at work

A coworker put his hands around my neck today at work, he was also verbally abusive towards me. Should I call the police or a lawyer first or both at the same time?

thomas pendrake

I'm surprised by the fact that this thread has been up for so long, and no one has commented. I hope that the situation has long been resolved. At the very least, a formal complaint should be filed. Is this business unionized? I suspect not. If you do not get an immediate positive response, contact a lawyer. There are free legal services to help in cases such as this. You might also contact the appropriate union, they will provide help.

If you have witnesses or concrete evidence and feel threatened, you may consider contacting police, but be sure that you are not in a situation where police corruption may be an issue, a possibility in a small town or where you may run into influence from your employers. Or your abuser.
Of course, if you have influence, such as a friend, be sure to use it (just don't abuse it. I assume that your version of the incident is accurate). Of course, if you gave the person good reason to be angry, you might consider seeking mediation, even apologizing. But be honest, people sometimes blame their-selves for everything.

dyanmarie25

Don't let someone oppress you. The more you show them your weakness and vulnerability, the more they would try to bully/hurt you. You should have talked to your lawyer right away, and if he tried to threatened you again, you should go straight to the police.

JoanMcWench

You need to contact Human Resources. In order to protect yourself & your job. If you're looking to take this further I would suggest contacting an attorney & checking with your place of employment for video of the situation. Was this coworker threatening you with bodily harm when their hands were at your throat or could they argue this was in jest?

Patrick

You need to contact Human Resources. In order to protect yourself & your job. If you're looking to take this further I would suggest contacting an attorney & checking with your place of employment for video of the situation. Was this coworker threatening you with bodily harm when their hands were at your throat or could they argue this was in jest?

I think it would depend on the workplace environment and the position that the assaulter holds in the company. If he/she were in senior management I know some HR departments might actually try to put the blame on you and protect their higher-ups. Best bet would still be to call a lawyer.

Clairelouise84

Oh my word I hope this has been dealt with and that you were not abused any further. It is physical assault, he assaulted you both physically and verbally so I would recommend calling the police should it ever happen again. No one should be made to feel unsafe at work and incidents like this should be dealt with promptly!

JoanMcWench

I think it would depend on the workplace environment and the position that the assaulter holds in the company. If he/she were in senior management I know some HR departments might actually try to put the blame on you and protect their higher-ups. Best bet would still be to call a lawyer.

Senior management or not the company will say they were not given the opportunity to address the situation if it's not reported to HR. I'm not implying HR will be fair or balanced in the handling but this is something you can cite when you lawyer up.

DancingLady

You need to tell your supervisor, and HR if your company has that. If your supervisor/manager does not take any steps to deal with this and protect you, definitely call the police. You have the right to a safe work environment. Check your states labor laws on this subject to get specifics about what law this person violated and what your rights are. If you can afford a lawyer that would be great, he/she could definitely clarify things for you and advise you on what to do now and if anything happens again.

Patrick

Speaking from a friend's experience, she had a lot of difficulty finding a new job after she left her previous one due to harrassment. HR did nothing to protect her, instead they gave her poorly reviewed references which really interfered with her career.

I would say definitely find a lawyer if you can afford it, before reporting in to HR and telling them that you have one.

Diane Lane

Yes, I agree with most of what has been posted, particularly @Patrick's advice to contact an attorney, prior to speaking to Human Resources. I had a similar situation at a previous job, and things of this nature are often not taken seriously, especially when the person initiating the negative contact has connections. Dot all your Is and cross your Ts, speak to an attorney, and find out exactly what your rights are, as well as how to proceed, before taking any action.

bala

You know better to how he behaved,should you feel insecure,you should surely approach the cops.I mean tell us more about the person,his character,his attitude,his recent activities,then we can take a decision easily i reckon.