Accident scams

js85

I know someone who was involved in a scam about an accident.

A car followed him home, then called the police. The police showed up and knocked on their door, saying that the man claimed they rear ended him. My friend had NO clue what was going on, because this car was behind him the entire drive. Then the person claimed he was injured, and called an ambulance to take him away on a stretcher! Then, the next day when my friend called his insurance to report that there was a fraudulent claim, they said that someone already called them, acting as my friend, to say they were in an accident and it was their fault! The scammer actually pretended to be my friend to claim fault!!

So they went to court to fight it, and the scammer never showed up once, so it was tossed out. Go figure, huh? It's scary that something so easy can throw your life into a mess like they had for a couple months.

Peninha

That is some story, people have the craziest imagination and they can put us in trouble...

milyjohnson

That is really crazy. Luckily the scammers didn't show up to court. I don't understand why they do that to people. I don't see the sense in it other than they are looking for money. I'm glad your friend didn't get in trouble because of the scammers.

Although obviously this was a totally unnecessary inconvenience to your friend, it's good to hear that the case was turned. I was worried he would actually be held liable in the situation. It might be hard to prove you didn't cause an accident.

januz101

Wow! That is specially twisted! These scammers will definitely do anything just to defraud you of your money. They will try to extort you money and even trick the police just so they could scare you. Good thing you cleared it out with the judge. Glad you posted your experience here so that this may serve as a warning to others..

GemmaRowlands

You would be surprised at just how often this type of thing can occur. If you have insurance that covers you against certain things happening, then the only thing that you really need to do is to make that thing happen, and you know that you're then going to get that money from your insurance company. However, I do think that they are starting to become a little more wise to it now, and are taking the time to actually investigate the claims that are put to them. The reason for this is because it is becoming clear that there is huge potential for people to make the most out of being involved in accidents, even though it's obviously an awful thing to do. More needs to be done to prevent this, without a doubt.

bala

it might be hard to prove you didn't cause an accident.Good that you cleared it out with the judge and now that you have posted your experience here,people will know how to respond in these situations.Thanks to you.