Age limit for joining the Police force?

JoshPosh

Banned
I'm currently looking for a new career and law enforcement might be the answer. I was just wondering if there is a age limit in joining the police academy?

Profit5500

For the police academy I think the age gap is between 20-45 and I think its because someone who joins the military goes for the two years. So after those two years they would be old enough to join the police academy and become a police officer. The thing is that you need to hurry and gain some experience doing things that would make you a greater candidate for the job. The hiring for police officers in this day in age is competitive. So you have to think of what is going to place me in the spot with the other candidates. You may want to ask police officers around your community about the hiring process. You can also ask for a ride along to see what its like to be a police officer. Definitely look clean and professional when going to the station to ask questions so you would not look like a mess. That is what I know from doing research so I hope this would help you.

GemmaRowlands

The age limits above seem to be accurate, however you should also be aware that there will be certain tests that you have to complete, and if you're a little older you may be at a disadvantage against those who are starting their training at a younger age. Another thing is that if there is a lot of competition for places on the training course, I would assume that they would be much more likely to go to younger candidates, for the pure reason that they would be a better investment, as the force would get a higher number of years from a 20 year old than they would from a 45 year old, no matter how fit they were.

Gelsemium

That age limit makes sense, I don't see why someone over 45 would want to join the police, it's necessary some stamina to make this job well.

dolittle94

I'm currently looking for a new career and law enforcement might be the answer. I was just wondering if there is a age limit in joining the police academy?
I'm almost certain you have to at least be 21 to enter into a police academy. However, I'm not sure if they have an age limit or not. Something else that just peaked my curiosity is; what are some other requirements? I'm wondering if they have a fitness test that you have to qualify for like the military branches, and I'm sure they have some sort of intelligence testing, but what other requirements must be met?

dolittle94

I'm almost certain you have to at least be 21 to enter into a police academy. However, I'm not sure if they have an age limit or not. Something else that just peaked my curiosity is; what are some other requirements? I'm wondering if they have a fitness test that you have to qualify for like the military branches, and I'm sure they have some sort of intelligence testing, but what other requirements must be met?

Patrick

I think there is also a personality assessment to determine if you can handle the pressure of the job, and if you are able to work well with other officers on your team. Individuals definitely need high fitness, alongside a healthy IQ and EQ, to protect and serve.

Profit5500

I think they do have a fitness examination like the military that has to be passed. I mean you cannot get badguys if you are unfit. So you have to be in the best physical fitted shape to get through the police academy. The limit for joining the police academy in the US is 45 years old while in the UK 55 years old.

Gelsemium

Sure, even with fitness examination from a certain age on it's rather unlikely that we can perform as well as younger candidates.

princenyc

Here in New York City there are always looking for officers. The requirements here are as follows. To take the exam you must be between 17.5 and 35 years old. If you were in the military you may deduct 6 years off the age requirement.

You can get all the details here: NYPDrecruit.com

Starting pay is $44,000.00

Profit5500

What do you mean deduct 6 years, if you were in the military you can apply with 41 years old?
That is possible in the US you would have to make sure you are going to be honorably discharged. You would probably be a colonel around 41 years old by getting in the police force should be easier than someone who is way younger with lack of experience.

shilpa123

The age limit changes from one place to another. I think it is best you ask about it in the near by local police headquarters.

shilpa123

Where I live, the age limit is quite high. One can join even in their forties. But it is also very strict ans quite a less number of people usually join. I think it is best suitable for people in their twenties.

OMGnoWAY

It's 21 to be a cop but only 20 to join the academy. Also there is no intelligence test but you do have to take tests on the law and if you're too dumb you probably won't be able to pass all of those.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the "military branches" of the police force. The military and the police are separate.

shilpa123

The age limit for joining the police us quite low. I am sure it is around time that people keep in mind all the restrictions and then join the police force.

Diane Lane

Age and other requirements are determined by the individual agencies. Some have more rigorous requirements than others, and sometimes there is a way to obtain experience, such as becoming a reserve deputy, military training, etc., prior to joining the force. Many forces nowadays require at least some college, and others require a university degree. The U.S. federal agent positions throughout the various agencies have a top age of I believe 36, which is due to mandatory retirement requirements, at least as told to me years back. One way to make yourself a more desirable candidate is to have special training or qualifications, such as pilot training and licensure, specific language abilities that are in demand, and things of that nature.

dyanmarie25

It's never too late to change your career path, as long as you have the passion for it and you're qualified/fit enough to do the job. :) Best of luck!