Are police officers allowed to look up family members?

My brother inlaw is a cop. For their own curiosity are police officers of any kind allowed to look up family members?

missbishi

Now that's an interesting question! I'd like to know the answer too. Just out of interest, do you suspect that your brother in law has looked you up at all?

Peachdejour

If I were a police officer and I was allowed to look people up, I'd be investigating my dysfunctional family all day long. Well, I'd be mostly looking up my dad's side because they are so colorful and mysterious. I do want to know what the rule of thumb is on this though.

LitoLawless

I wouldn't say that they are ALLOWED to do it but I don't see why they wouldn't, especially if they were genuinely curious. If you're not in the system then I think that you will be OK.

Kittyworker

I would say it would usually be a conflict of interest. Like you see in the TV shows a detective will never be investigating his brother for killing someone. He will be reassigned and he may give his opinion on how his brother is to the new case detective and let his brother know he is under investigation. And since hes being taken off he won't be able to discuss anymore details around the case with his brother or the department.

Although its probably not allowed to search the database for curiosity sake, I would see a few officers doing it for fun. So I conclude its a bit of a gray area with looking up where your ex wife is staying.