asthma disqualify me

tom.berto

I have asthma. I read somewhere that asthma is a disability. Would having asthma disqualify me from getting a law enforcement job?

Whitewolf2578

Depends on how bad it is. I have it, but it only acts up sometimes. If you can get through there physical test without passing out because you can't breathe I think you will do fine. But if you run two hundred feet and suddenly have an asthma attack that will get you Disqualified.

wahmed

It's completely dependent on the severity of your asthma. If you can do strenuous tasks without acting up 99 percent of the time you should be fine but if it is really really bad case I doubt they'll even registered you was a potential applicant.

missbishi

Having asthma alone is no criteria for disqualification. If you can pass all the physical fitness and medical tests then it's not a problem at all.

Gelsemium

The issue here is that you have to pass on the physical tests and if you have asthma most likely that will be detected. You cannot go running and stop because you can't breathe you know?

JoanMcWench

I agree with the general consensus. There's only around a fistful of things that permanently disqualify you from being a police officer. A lot of things assumed to disqualify are treatable therefore manageable & could end up not interfering with work.

Shimus

It also really depends on your local bureau that is hiring as well. Some may let you in with nearly anything if you pass their tests, and some might not even let you test if you have disabilities and tell you multiple different excuses as to why (my friends have told me about some of these when they went to apply) but generally the consensus is true - don't fret about it and just try. You never know - they may take you!