Can someone people a law officer without going through the academy?

primalclaws1974

Many years ago a state trooper gave me a ride when my car broke down. We were casually talking, and I swear this young guy told me that he only had eight weeks of training to become an officer! I know it was a long time ago (15 years), but I am pretty sure that was what he said. Academy training isn't that short, is it? So, what training was he talking about? Thanks.

ally79

In my state if you don't have a law enforcement degree and just go to the academy it is an 11 week training program. Completion of the training doens't mean that you will automatically be hired by a police department though.

LitoLawless

I think that if someone was a cop at some other department or just has general law enforcement experience in general, they won't have to go through the academy. If not, I might be mandatory. These are just my assumptions by the way.

Rainman

Can someone people a law officer without going through the academy?
Unless there was an urgent for an officer and you were the one most qualified to "serve and protect" then there's absolutely no way you can become a police officer without going through the academy.
Before you can become a police officer, you must complete 720 hours of basic law enforcement academy (BLEA) training within six months of hire to the law enforcement agency you are employing with. All academy recruits must be physically able to actively and fully participate in the defensive drills and other required physical activities in accordance with WAC 139-05-230. The WSCJTC requires you to pass a fitness ability test prior to entry into the academy.

ally79

The above varies by state, actually. You can be hired with no training whatsoever and train through the department only, at least in my state. They do however require you to become POST certified within 6 months of your hire date, and that involves a couple of weeks of training classes. If you are hired in this manner, however, you are a rookie, and always with at least one, sometimes two veteran officers.

Whitewolf2578

Some people have extra pull, like say their father is the chief of police and is well known. Just seems like some people that become police officers shouldn't have become one in the first place, then you talk to them about it and they say they have cut corners to get where they are at. I know now the training process is long and tedious, I wouldn't even try to become a police officer knowing what I know now.

Rocky55119

I am assuming if they already know the topics, for example they are a top-notch law abiding of all citizen who is properly trained with weapons and is familiar with the police departments actions and such. For example a relative who maybe watched his older brother on some of the police jobs could know alot of this, and would probably be put further into the academy ahead of time, so he wouldn't have to waste time relearning.