(Canada) Is it true officers don't often convict for marijuana possession?

Fury

I've heard along the grapevine that in Canada (Eastern Canada) is a cop stumbles onto you with a reasonable amount of weed (think a joint) while you're not causing any trouble (ex. In a secluded location, not driving, not making a lot of noise, nowhere where you'd expect children to find you, when no complaints have been made about you, etc.) that most cops will just make you dump it out onto the ground.

In your experience, is this true? Or is it just a bit of a fantasy that we like to tell ourselves so we feel safer?

js85

I'm sure it'll depend on the police officer. I can't imagine there being an explicit law stating they have to let you go, but I think it's up to the discretion of their personal judgement.

milyjohnson

I would be surprised if the police officer would let you go even if you weren't causing trouble at the time they caught you with the weed. I would think that they would still arrest you, but you never know. Maybe certain police officers will let you go depending on the mood they are in at the time.

GemmaRowlands

It depends on the officer and on the situation. No matter what kind of situation you're in at the time, there's always going to be some level of discretion about what gets overlooked and what doesn't. Where I'm from, you can have a small amount for personal use, it's only if you have more than that, and it looks as though you're planning to supply it to other people, that the problems start. I would never arrest anybody for having it on them so long as they didn't have very much, and so long as they weren't under the influence while they were driving.

Lin

I'm sure it'll depend on the police officer. I can't imagine there being an explicit law stating they have to let you go, but I think it's up to the discretion of their personal judgement.
I definitely agree with you that personal discretion is the main factor here. I know this "product" is illegal in many countries including Canada (unless prescribed by a doctor). I do wonder however, why is it that they have made possession of this product illegal when it has so many medicinal benefits. I personally don't smoke it (I know the health risks), but I know that it is good for making tea and such. I guess it causes more harm than good in the hands of men.

AlexF15

It'd be really dependent on which police offer you ran into. If you ran into a really nice one, you'd be lucky and he most likely wouldn't, but one that takes his job serious, you'd be in a lot of trouble.

bala

It'd be really dependent on which police offer you ran into. If you ran into a really nice one, you'd be lucky and he most likely wouldn't, but one that takes his job serious, you'd be in a lot of trouble.
Dude..Read the topic before you post.The rules clearly state that unless you are found causing trouble or involving in the afore mentioned activities you are safe.The laws there are like that.
I know you are excited to post,but read through,before you post.