Cops Speeding & Tailgating

blur92

I have often witnessed a cop car speeding excessively without their lights or siren on. Are they allowed a privilege that permits them to not following regular traffic laws? I understand if there is an emergency, but it seems like they are speeding with no other reason than the common impatience many drivers have. Moreover, why do they tailgate other drivers? People become nervous and sometimes end up speeding because of it. It is just really inconsiderate and upsetting.

Gabe

In the UK I have seen it few times, but they are police cars so you know that. If they were unmarked cars then it would be different. These days with hostage situations sometimes they don't won't to alert the perpetrators or alarm the public either. Consider the French siege, having sirens would have warned the armed gun men and the police would not have the element of surprise.

blur92

In the UK I have seen it few times, but they are police cars so you know that. If they were unmarked cars then it would be different. These days with hostage situations sometimes they don't won't to alert the perpetrators or alarm the public either. Consider the French siege, having sirens would have warned the armed gun men and the police would not have the element of surprise.

Still, sometimes they seem to just abuse their power. Also, I cannot see why it is acceptable or appropriate to tailgate a citizen to that extent. If anything, doing so is hazardous.

JohnBrock

I think this is a good point, in cases where they don't want to alert potential suspects/offenders it makes a lot of sense not to create a big fuss about their presence. Whether or not that is the reason for the occasional speeding officers I am not sure, but it seems like it could be a potential causality, albeit a bit naive perhaps :cool:

Rainman

I believe that some cops don't mind abusing their power from time to time. They'd rather not get stuck in traffic when they should be elsewhere patrolling? No. Not every cop has that kind of work ethic. Some may just want to get back to the police precincts fast so they can take the day off. There's no way to tell when a cop must genuinely speed and when the necessity is absent but since they've got the badge . . . heck, some of them they'll act like they are above the law.

blur92

Are there any cops on this forum who can answer the question? I am genuinely curious. I would also like to know whether they can get in trouble for this or would it be overlooked?

Profit5500

I have often witnessed a cop car speeding excessively without their lights or siren on. Are they allowed a privilege that permits them to not following regular traffic laws? I understand if there is an emergency, but it seems like they are speeding with no other reason than the common impatience many drivers have. Moreover, why do they tailgate other drivers? People become nervous and sometimes end up speeding because of it. It is just really inconsiderate and upsetting.
I see them do that where I am from too. I just ignore them since they are like that anyway. They are the kind that should get cited, but they do not since they are cops.

JohnBrock

I see them do that where I am from too. I just ignore them since they are like that anyway. They are the kind that should get cited, but they do not since they are cops.

I think that honestly depends on the circumstances, I'm sure there would be serious consequences in some police circles, whereas in others it would be overlooked