Death penalty

thegrey1

I wonder if there is a collective opinion among policemen about the death penalty? There probably aren't any comprehensive stats out there, but I wonder if there is an underlying thread of opinion among officers in general.

Rainman

There's an article I read somewhere which seemed to suggest that many police chiefs [do not] support the death penalty. I suppose that since they don't, most cops might also feel the same way.

Death Penalty Focus
The police chiefs ranked the death penalty as the least efficient use of taxpayers' money. They rated expanded training and more equipment for police officers; hiring more police officers; community policing; more programs to control drug and alcohol abuse; and neighborhood watch programs as more efficient uses of taxpayers' dollars.

missbishi

Assuming that most people join the police to try and make a difference, I can imagine that funding must be a real bone of contention for officers. It must be really frustrating to feel powerless to change things because there's no money available.

Reading the article, it seems that they believe measures like more officers, improved technologies and more programs for drug and alcohol addicts are far more valuable in the fight against crime.

What is more beneficial to society? Measures such as the above being implemented or keeping the death penalty?

thegrey1

That seems so strange to me. Considering the results of the depravity that police officers come in contact with all the time, I would think they would support it without hesitation.

Rainman

What is more beneficial to society? Measures such as the above being implemented or keeping the death penalty?
Since the death penalty is no deterrent to criminals, it would be best to "execute" what the police chiefs think might help.
Abusers of particular drugs may commit violent crimes, and distribution of drugs can lead to violent crimes.
Get people off drugs and there'll be fewer crimes being committed. That and other proposed measures I believe would be more effective at reducing crime.

Gelsemium

I believe that more police officers believe in the death penalty than common citizens because they see crime way closer and they want to put an end to it. It's not the solution IMO.

thegrey1

There's an article I read somewhere which seemed to suggest that many police chiefs [do not] support the death penalty. I suppose that since they don't, most cops might also feel the same way.

I can understand it not being a great use of taxpayer funds. Prisoners sit on death row for years and years, and the appeals process is long and expensive. But I wonder if they have moral issues with it, considering the heinous crimes that are committed in our society.

Rainman

I can understand it not being a great use of taxpayer funds. Prisoners sit on death row for years and years, and the appeals process is long and expensive. But I wonder if they have moral issues with it, considering the heinous crimes that are committed in our society.
I doubt that the issue of morality ever weighs down on them. While yes I admit that someone who murders another ought to be executed I think the fact the jailed criminals are "out of circulation" is good enough for cops.

PrideKidd

I would like to have hope that everyone decides whether they believe one way or another about the death penalty on their own. It would and is a sad day when a certain group of people try sway people into joining a collective thought. Everyone deserves to have their own opinion.

I guess you could look at it like this:

Police Officer Ted just lost his partner because a murder shot him. Ted would of course be inclined heavily to go for the death penalty to avenge his fallen partner.

Police Officer Ray is headed home for the night, he gets his wife some flowers and heads home. Upon arriving he hears his wife scream in pain. Ray drops the flowers, readies his weapon and charges in. He rushes to the living room and sees a man who has a gun to his wifes head. Ray instantly reacts and being a dead shot he killed the man who was holding his wife captive.

The family of the murdered offender takes Ray to court and sues him for wrongful death, even knowing everything we know about Ray and his situation. The legal system gets twisted and the jury finds Ray guilty of murder, sentenced to the death penalty. Ray would believe the death penalty was wrong and the system did not give him justice.

I know this is VERY far fetched but it is two examples of how two different police officers view the death penalty, as should everyone else. I believe once again no "collective" show sway you one way or the other, just think and make your own decision what is right for you. Police or not. Very interesting post by the way. Got to get some of my views on this topic out in the open.

Gabe

Most just want a conviction as that's their job and sentencing is left to the other parts of the justice system. I don't think you can generalize as it is also down to the individual's religion and beliefs as well as what state they live in. Some states seem to have a culture where the death penalty is encouraged, yet that still doesn't prevent crime, so they should consider that too.