Difference Between Murder and Capital Murder?

guineapigmomma

What is the difference between committing murder and capital murder? Is there a difference? I have an uncle that's a LEO, but he's being a jerk about answering my questions.

missbishi

I was interested too so I had a look on Wikipedia.

The term "capital murder" is used in only a handful of U.S. states; however, 32 states and United States federal government currently allow for capital punishment.[SUP][2][/SUP] and each has its own terminology for an offense punishable by death. In most states, the term "First-Degree Murder" is used; others may use the term "Aggravated Murder" (such as Ohio), and some use simply "Murder" (such as Alabama). Only a few states use the term "Capital Murder" (such as Texas).Terminology is varied, however, and not all offenses are parallel between the states. In some, first-degree murder is a very broad term defined by a number of circumstances, only a few of which make a defendant eligible for execution. In other jurisdictions, an offense carrying the death penalty is strictly defined and is separate from other, similar crimes.
Although legal definitions vary, capital murder in the United States usually means murder involving one or more of the following factors:

• Victim is a police officer, firefighter, or paramedic
  • Victim is a child
  • Committed during the commission of another violent felony, such as burglary, sexual assault, kidnapping, etc.
  • Multiple murders committed pursuant to one another
  • Murder-for-hire
Some states may include other factors which amount to capital murder or its legal equivalent.
[h=3]Punishment[edit][/h]Capital offenses in the United States are not always punishable by death exclusively. Most states afford courts the option of imposing either the death penalty or a life sentence upon conviction, though lesser sentences are rare and in some cases legally impossible. Depending on the state, the presiding judge may determine the sentence, or the decision may be left to the jury.

Here's the link to the full article:Capital murder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kittyworker

From my understanding of the law, Murder is separated into varying degrees depending on the circumstances of the crime. As each jurisdiction is charged with their own terminology, some have labeled the most serious degree of murder 'Capital Murder' whereas others have labeled it 'First-Degree Murder'. Very few places have a charge of simply 'Murder'.

bala

Thanks for enlightening me on these.this is the first time i am hearing of capital murder.
In here (India),there aren't classifications of murder and any heinous crime that results in death is a murder.

donnalynn47

I always thought capital murder was when a person plotted, and planned out the murder as well. I'm glad I joined this board it's nice having a place to interact with real officers of the law.

missbishi

I always thought capital murder was when a person plotted, and planned out the murder as well. I'm glad I joined this board it's nice having a place to interact with real officers of the law.

This is the distinction that we have in the UK. A planned killing is classed as murder but something that wasn't pre-meditated is usually called manslaughter. There is also a "Causing death by..." category which covers dangerous driving, neglect, health and safety law infringements and not giving due care and attention.

Kittyworker

That's one circumstance that a murder can be considered the highest degree. It is probably the most common form of First Degree (Capital) Murder there is.

Rosyrain

I think the Wiki definition pretty much sums it up. If you murder an adult under "normal" circumstances then it is just murder, but when it is especially horrid, then it becomes capital. I am not sure there is much of a difference in punishments though.