Do recruitment approaches differ from state to state?

Onionman

There's a lot of interesting stuff here. But I just wondered whether recruitment criteria is the same across the country, and whether all the tips given here are relevant everywhere?

Patrick

I would imagine recruitment practices would differ base on how many applicants the police department receives. If they had a bigger pool of candidates to choose from the selection process would naturally be more stringent.

Overall, I believe that most of the criteria should be largely the same - physical fitness, emotional stability and ability to lead and follow orders.

Onionman

Thanks - I had a feeling that the core of considerations might be similar. And I suppose local demographics would probably have a bearing.

But I guess it makes sense that there will be more stringent selection processes in higher demand areas. That in itself, though, raises the question about the uniformity of the quality of candidates selected. That is, someone may get selected in one state that wouldn't have had a chance in another.

Gelsemium

I think that it has to be similar at the core, but big differences exist from country to country I believe.