do you think the laws need to be changed on being guilty by association.

haitch

The title is not well phrased but I am talking about receiving a sentence for being at the scene of a crime and not doing anything to stop the criminal. Quite recently I met some convicts who were all guilty by association and this posed the question, do they deserve it? In the heat of the moment things may not go well and they may have little choice from threats. What's your opinion?

Kittyworker

No, RICO is pretty much the only thing that can be used against some of the top guys in organized crime. They are often too smart to be caught on tape or with any evidence that actually points to their involvement in a crime. Their being associated in an organization of crime though is easier to prove and is one of the easiest ways to go after them.

Profit5500

The title is not well phrased but I am talking about receiving a sentence for being at the scene of a crime and not doing anything to stop the criminal. Quite recently I met some convicts who were all guilty by association and this posed the question, do they deserve it? In the heat of the moment things may not go well and they may have little choice from threats. What's your opinion?
That is a tricky one there mister. If you are there at the scene of the crime and did not call the police then get arrested then that is different. If you are there and are afraid that too could come into play. You can end up being scared to help since you do not know if the crook is armed.

primalclaws1974

I have not known very many people that get this charge, because a lawyer (who's any good) will fight to have the charge dismissed. I was actually charged with a misdemeanor drug charge because the person driving had a small amount of meth in the glove box and I knew about it. I felt that it was unfair as I wasn't the owner, and I couldn't tell them what to do.

Rainman

I believe anyone who actually gets charged with guilt by association is a well-known criminal. Being on the crime in itself is no crime but if you've had prior dealings with the perpetrator then quite obviously it will be assumed that though you took no active part in [committing] the crime, you were involved in some way. Hard to prove, yeah, but you could get locked up.

tanker

I have not known very many people that get this charge, because a lawyer (who's any good) will fight to have the charge dismissed. I was actually charged with a misdemeanor drug charge because the person driving had a small amount of meth in the glove box and I knew about it. I felt that it was unfair as I wasn't the owner, and I couldn't tell them what to do.

How much did you spend on the lawyer ? Did the state compensate you for the cost of your lawyer when you where found innocent ? Obviously the state never did that, so indirectly you where punished for associating with that person. What happens if you didn't have a good lawyer ?