Does Military service help you get into the academy?

davidj96

I've always wondered if having military service would help you gain a spot in the police academy. I'll be leaving for Marine corps recruit training next June and my MOS will be 0311, Infantry.I'd like to stay in for at least two active duty listings, and then possibly try to become a police officer? Thanks for all answers submitted and advice. :)

GemmaRowlands

Yes, it will certainly help. It can show that you have a lot of the skills and values that are required to join the police, and it will look much better on your CV in comparison to the people who not able to show that they have any such experience. You should try to get as much done as possible to show that you have what it takes for this role, as it is doing so that will allow you to stand out amongst the other applicants.

Profit5500

Yes your military experience would help that is a dead giveaway and you should be able to get through. I don't have any experience in the military so I would be locked out. you should do fine though being in the Marine Corps would provide enough experience for the position.

joshua minaya

I think the kind of fitness training that one will go through in the army will be an added advntage for the individual when he or she gets into the police force.This is due to the intensity and quality of military training.

Profit5500

Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines all the military branches would help you become a police officer. Its training would be able to allow you to get into police academy and pass the police tests.

AlexF15

I'm pretty positive it would help, I mean they would understand what you know a little more. You'd probably meet the physical requirements, and you'd be more knowing of what to do and understand things.

ReDGuNNeR

While it's not a PASS AS YOU GO card, having military experience is always seen as an asset in any law encorcement organization. It's not a probable, it's definite. Every application will have you list your service/duty information in more detail than you'd expect from any other hiring agency. Academies have to weed out most applicants during the first cuts so having military experience is a way to ensure you have a better chance. Not that you should be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of class rank but it does have its merit in law enforcement.

Riggy

Yes, it definitely helps you out. It's a good thing to have written down as to your passed. Also, the exercise and fitness that you'll have will be an incredibly help. It gives a huge head starts but it's not an automatic pass!