Drunk mom drives into river with kids in car

Anthony

Super Moderator
drunkmom.jpg
A mother is facing charges after police say she drove drunk and ended up a river with her children in the back seat. The crash happened around 12:30 a.m. Saturday.
State troopers in North Carolina said the suspect, Connie Jo Penland, 26, was allegedly impaired when she failed to stop at an intersection and ended up in South Catawba Fork River.
Authorities say when they arrived to the scene, the vehicle was filled with eight inches of water. They also said the mother was so intoxicated didn't know what town she was in.
“It’s sad she was drinking and not thinking about those kids’ lives,†a resident who lives close to where the crash occurred.
[video=youtube_share;BK6C3RRZLm8]http://youtu.be/BK6C3RRZLm8[/video]
The children ages 6 and 7 were wearing their seat belts at the time of the incident.
The mother and children were transferred to a local hospital. Authorities said kids were unharmed in the accident, however the suspect had abrasions to her face, legs and arms.
Penland is charged with DWI, reckless driving and two counts of child abuse.
The mother is being held in Gaston County Jail on $25,000 bond. Police say the kids are currently staying with their aunt. Penland is scheduled to appear in court on August 18.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gelsemium

How scary are these sort of news really? Luckily the kids (and mother...) were unharmed, but no way she can continue to take care of them while she has a drinking problem, she is putting their lives in risk!!

Muthoni

When I saw that the accident occurred at 12; 30 am I wondered where she was taking the kids at that time. The kids should be asleep by then; so I made up my own conclusions, she must have run out of alcohol. Maybe she woke the kids up to avoid leaving them alone at home to go to the store for more liquor. Abuse of alcohol is a deadly disease; there is no happy ending.