Anthony

Super Moderator
Authorities are looking into the deaths of two young boys killed by a python. Police said they originally thought the python escaped through the ventilation shafts from upstairs apartment where the store owner lives. However after investigating the officers told reporters that the snake was a house pet, kept inside the apartment where the two boys were visiting friends, authorities said.
"It was upstairs," Royal Mounted Police Sgt. Alain Tremblay said Tuesday at a news conference Tuesday evening. "It never got out of the store."
The snake owner Jean-Claude Savoie had the two boys over the house for a sleepover with his own son.
Savoie told authorities he doesn't have a clue how the snake escaped from its cage.
"I thought the snakes were sleeping until I saw the hole in the ceiling. I turned the lights on and I saw this horrific scene," said Savoie, who caught the python in his living room, pinned it down and put it in a cage. "It's ridiculous. I can't believe this is real."
The snake wrapped itself around the brothers and constricted them, a spokeperson said.
The two brothers, Noah Barthe, 4, and Connor Barthe, 6, were sound asleep Monday when the 100-pound, 15-foot African rock python escaped from its cage. It was reported that Savoie's son was sleeping in a different room.
The pathologist completed the autopsies on Noah and Connor Barthe and confirmed they died from asphyxiation.
The python has been put down and sent to Fredericton for a necropsy.
"I can tell you it's a criminal investigation right now to determine if any criminal act is responsible for the death of the two boys." "We're going to look at all avenues." said Tremblay.
The boys uncle Dave Rose, said that the mother and the two boys were friends with Savoie, and were out together on Sunday.
"They played with llamas and goats and horses," he said. "They played with dogs and cats in the hay loft. They went for a ride in the farm tractor, which I'm told they even let them steer the tractor, so they had a super day."
A memorial to the brothers has been set up outside Reptile Ocean, including teddy bears and candles. Jean Coutu has set up a donation at the local pharmacy to help raise money for the boys funerals.

Teens In Crisis

I'm deathly afraid of snakes and this kind of stuff terrifies me man. I can't believe that this type of stuff happens in civilized society.

Onionman

Yeah, I must say my first thought was why would anyone want to keep a python in the first place. It's not their natural habitat so it's pretty selfish really.

I don't know what the legalities of owning one in this kind of situation but I would have thought the owner must be liable for something.

Patrick

This is why there needs to be a lot more regulation on exotic pets. Snakes, Bears and other animals with the capacity to maim or kill should not be allowed to live in neighborhoods, they should be kept in confined areas far away from most of civilization.

Rhoda D'Ettore

The African python is extremely aggressive also. The burmese pythons are incredibly long, and although not native to Florida, they have taken over the Everglades. You can see pictures of the snakes swallowing alligators! Authorities have been concerned that the african pythons, like in this story, may be introduced to Florida and the two snakes mating would create a "super snake".

I live in NJ, and this summer the authorities/media told us there was a six foot boa constrictor in a local lake. However, it was truly a 15 foot anaconda someone released! There have been several cougars in my area that must have been pets released or that escaped. It is scary. And very sad for the animals that just want to live, but have irresponsible owners who might mean well, but then cannot afford to keep them.

Did anyone ever see the reports of the guy who had a 500 pound tiger in a Harlem housing project?

DancingLady

Such creatures should not be legal to own as pets. They belong in a zoo if they are to be kept for humans to observe, NOT in a home, free to do whatever.

askanison

I have never understood the allure of owning a pet that can possible kill or maim me and my family. I have a deep fear of snakes and this story just makes my skin crawl. Anyone who owns a python or dangerous animal should be held responsible for any harm that animal or pet does. One hundred percent responsible. They knew the danger the pet posed and decided to keep it regardless of any danger. I know he didn't mean for it to happen, but by having a deadly pet he in turn helped cause the deaths of those two children and should be imprisoned.

bluekknd2

Such a terrible way to go. Maybe there should be some common sense to not keep a 15ft snake. This is a terrible lesson to learn. I hate to blame the victim, but get a snake like that after the kids are in college or something. This is heartbreaking.

bala

@bluekknd2 I second you dude.Honestly this was some heights of an imbecile action from the authorities and i really can only pity the boys.I dread snakes and this only add more to it.
@
askanison : that ain't a pet..:(

Muthoni

I thought that when children go for a sleep over, they all sleep in the same space. It is such a sad thing that both boys died, the parents must be devastated. It is confusing how quickly life can be taken away even when one is sleeping. This is one of the worst accidents that can happen. The parents of the friend of these boys must be having a very difficult time because the boys died under their guard.

Gelsemium

After reading about the bobcat, now a python, how can these dangerous animals be on the lose, it's something hard to believe.