Fearing Retribution

Rainman

Is this what makes cops unwilling to arrest prominent individuals who have friends in "places"? There's this one police officer who arrested the son of a Mayor who had committed some minor offense and he was fired the next day.

Question: is the fear of retribution what stops cops from arresting the rich and powerful?

stevesxs9

I have know lots of people in other occupations who were fearful of losing their jobs if they offended someone higher up. But to me whenever a Policeman makes a legitimate arrest by the book, they have nothing to feel ashamed about. And if that costs them their jobs then they didn't have one in the first place.

missbishi

It really wouldn't surprise me if this was the case. I imagine there are a whole bunch of incidents involving prominent individuals which mysteriously get dropped. The law is definitely blinded by celebrity.

Gabe

It's a fact of life, it's who you know that can count. Justice isn't always fair, but police do get pressured and it depends on public pressure too. It can be the difference between losing their job or getting a promotion, so ethics comes into it as well as justice.
If you look at Korean Air, everyone thought the daughter of the CEO would get off for the turning the aircraft back over the nuts being served in a packet and throwing off a member of the cabin crew. I think with the media pressure and exposure they had no choice but to give her a sentence, here money and status could not buy her way out, although many thought it would.

Gelsemium

When you are a police officer you know what happens, that is why so many work undercover, it's a really hard job, especially for those with a family.

RingoBerry

Its true in a sense that in some places law can be bent according the quirks of those in power and often times, as much as cops want to do their jobs properly they always have to weigh the consequences specially if he/she is not the only one affected if things go bad. My mother wasn't a cop but she was in a situation where she had to just leave her government position which put her in charge with a lot of money and look the other way because cars started to follow her while she was driving my older sisters to school. Two years after she resigned, her old department was put through audit and her old bosses were caught. I guess divine intervention does happen.

ally79

You have always heard that it isn't what you know, but who you know right? Well, this is certainly true in the law enforcement sector, especially for people who are elected like sheriff's. People who donate money to the campaign to get them elected always feel as though they, their friends, and family members deserve special treatment.

JoanMcWench

The truth is it's tough to get ahead in the world. This type of thing works from politicians kissing butt for money/votes to the McDonald's cashier kissing butt for a raise. What changes the landscape dramatically in your example is that punishment should always fit the crime. It reminds me of things like Presidents saying that they indeed smoked weed & grew up to become president while simultaneously there are thousands & thousands of people in prison for doing exactly that same thing. It's ridiculous & it's not fair but privilege comes with perks. One of those is getting away with things poor people/less influential people could not get away with. The police are a small factor in that mess.

ally79

Agreed Joan! A county near us is an uproar right now because their police chief was arrested for something and instead of being sentenced like a normal citizen would be he was charged with a misdemeanor, given probation, and got to keep his job!

Profit5500

Is this what makes cops unwilling to arrest prominent individuals who have friends in "places"? There's this one police officer who arrested the son of a Mayor who had committed some minor offense and he was fired the next day.

Question: is the fear of retribution what stops cops from arresting the rich and powerful?
Rich and powerful people always had a grip on law enforcement. It is something that no cop would be able to get over.

Shimus

Cops can get over it. Real people can get over it. But the problem with getting over it is it costs you your chosen career. Doesn't seem like an equivalent exchange in the least does it? But it's the sad, sad truth. Some people 'look the other way' because they just want to keep status quo and look out for "#1". This can be misconstrued as fearing retribution though. Would you willingly give up your only income to challenge somebody you'd probably lose in a court of law too anyways since you can't put up the money?

I know some cops who would do it and not care and shove their nose in it, but that leads me to believe they have higher ups protecting them as well.

OMGnoWAY

I believe so, yes. There's actually a lot of politics involved in your position/promotions in the force and the kind of assignments you get. Many people work decades to get a promotion then worry that all that hard work could be for nothing if they arrest a prominent official. I think it's ridiculous, public/government officials and their families should be treated just like the rest of us.

Rosyrain

I think there are people in all occupations that are afraid to do something that might make one of the big bosses mad even if it is the wrong thing to do. The officer could have a civil case if he could prove that he did everything by the book and the mayor's kid really did deserve to get arrested. It makes me angry that some people use the power, political or whatever, to cause harm to someone lower on the totem pole for doing their job.

pandabear1991

I am more than confident it happens. But I also feel it happens in every occupation. The fact that it happens so much in law enforcement is a real shame. It is why certain criminals are able to get away with murder. There is a saying in my hometown for these types of situations "money talks and bull crap walks." The fact that money is what will keep officers from doing what they should (fear of loosing their career) is a nightmare. I couldn't even think of what to do in their situation, but the fact is, there isn't much they can do because the bull crap is everywhere. Loose their job, which usually includes a fight trying not to and end up relocating to another station with similar bull crap, or stay quite and stay where they are. Seems like a no win situation.

shilpa123

I do believe that this is one of the major reason. I do think it is best if the police does its job correctly and takes care of civilian.

Gelsemium

Yeah, that is why people said that we don't live in a fair society. The law should be equal to everyone, but sadly that's not what happens.