Ferguson Police Chief's Resignation Announced

Anthony

Super Moderator
The mayor of Ferguson, Missouri has announced the resignation of the city's police chief. Just one week after a scathing Justice Department report outlined evidence of racial bias and discrimination by the department.

[video]https://youtu.be/kOy8L_HvzaQ[/video]

May102014

In my opinion, this was the best decision for the Police Chief. The report by the DOJ was scathing and doesn't help mend relations between the police department and the residents they are sworn to serve and protect. The atmosphere in Ferguson is very unfortunate but as someone who use to work in the Ferguson Florissant School District, these events were steadily boiling beneath the surface. I have seen some questionable actions by a few officers in this department and my friend (who lives near Ferguson) has been subjected to unnecessary harassment. My hope is for this city to heal within due time because we do need policemen and not every single officer is a bad cop.

thegrey1

I would have resigned as well. Why shouldn't he? Any authority he might have had has been undermined by the racists in D.C.! I think Ferguson needs a black police force. At least the mantra wouldn't be "racist white cops! " They'd have to come up with another reason to explain the killing of these "good, college-bound boys!" Sorry for the rant, but I am so over this crap!

Rosyrain

I think the chief made the right move under these circumstances. It is sad that a police department would even have a slight amount of racial biased in it. It would make sense to add more black police officers to the force to help out with the relations and make the black people of the are feel like they are being listened too.

Determined2014

It is a good thing that he chose or decided to resign, this might help ease out the situation, since there is enough evidence backing it all up.

missbishi

The mayor of Fergusin has announced that the police department is to be dismantled then restructured following these events. I agree with Rosyrain in that there should be a percentage of black officers which mirrors the percentage of black residents - after all, the police force is meant to be representative of society. An all-white department will do nothing to gain the trust of the entire community and I think that if the police want to increase the amount or respect they receive, they noeed to become more relatable.