Filing a complaint on an officer

primalclaws1974

Years ago I had an issue with an officer that followed my friend and I for a very long time, pulled us over on the edge of town, gave him a breathalyzer, and although he passed, told him to go home anyway. I asked him how he can tell him to do that, and he gave me a dirty look and told me to file a complaint if I didn't like it. So, I did. His boss (which was an officer I really liked) was looking for the paper, and implied that no one had ever filed a complaint during his tenure, basically making me feel like I was doing something unreasonable. He allowed me to file the report, but I doubt anything ever came of it. Have you ever filed a complaint? What happened?

sunrider

Never filed a complaint, but I have seen the other side of it and I can assure you that it doesn't just "not go anywhere." If you felt the officer's actions were inappropriate, you did the right thing in filing the report! What happens is this - the supervisor reviews the report and begins a cursory investigation of the merits. Just basic stuff to confirm that the incident could have happened. Then depending on those facts, the supervisor will get the officer's side of the story. Regardless of what the officer says or if the supervisor believes the officer was in the right, that report will go in the officer's file. No matter what the finding was.

That file matters! This is why I always encourage people to report if there's a problem because it creates a paper trail. The officer will get a talking to the first time if the incident can't be substantiated, but I promise you the report will help bolster a punishment down the line if/when the officer gets into another incident. "Hey, Smith was rude that one time...maybe he's being rude more often than we think...." Smith is now on the radar.

The people have more power than they think! You did the right thing.

ally79

I have never filed a complain, but i do know that at least here all complaints are formally investigated. If the charges are substantiated then the officer will be disciplined and possibly even relieved of his post.

LitoLawless

I have never filed a complaint, it always seemed pretty pointless to me. For the most part, I believe that the officers will side with fellow officers. They will take the officer's side of the story over your side any day of the week. The only way your story will have even the slightest amount of bearing is if there were proof of some sort. Even nowadays that rarely seems like enough.

Kittyworker

Although I personally haven't had any issues with Police (yet) there have been times when I thought they could have done a better job i.e turn up within 20 minutes while we are holding down a off med schizophrenic so he doesn't attack customers again.
I have also seen a few officers a bit discriminatory on age which is understand their point of view however they shouldn't discriminate against anyone. As Lito was saying I was always under the impression that officers will take each other sides - just like we would with customer complaints, we would say it wasn't the staff fault just a cranky customer. However what sunrider mentioned is very interesting that it is kept on their file. So even if you complain of sexual harassment for example and the officer was found in the clear and things looked perfectly fine, if this specific complaint keeps coming up it will make the supervisors ponder his conduct.

primalclaws1974

Never filed a complaint, but I have seen the other side of it and I can assure you that it doesn't just "not go anywhere." If you felt the officer's actions were inappropriate, you did the right thing in filing the report! What happens is this - the supervisor reviews the report and begins a cursory investigation of the merits. Just basic stuff to confirm that the incident could have happened. Then depending on those facts, the supervisor will get the officer's side of the story. Regardless of what the officer says or if the supervisor believes the officer was in the right, that report will go in the officer's file. No matter what the finding was.

That file matters! This is why I always encourage people to report if there's a problem because it creates a paper trail. The officer will get a talking to the first time if the incident can't be substantiated, but I promise you the report will help bolster a punishment down the line if/when the officer gets into another incident. "Hey, Smith was rude that one time...maybe he's being rude more often than we think...." Smith is now on the radar.

The people have more power than they think! You did the right thing.

I thank you for your detailed response. As others in this thread have said, I question how much actually gets done when it is another officer doing the investigation? It is hard for me to believe that even a supervisor is so impartial to their own people. A lot of these officers are buddies while at work, and off the clock. But in an ideal world, I would like to think that the process happens just as you posted, and a paper trail would lead somewhere. With this particular officer, 20 years later, he's still on the force. It is hard to believe others haven't had issues in all this time.

Rosyrain

I have filed a complaint before when an officer was really out of line once. There was a theft that happened that I reported that happened and he basically told the the if what to say to get out of being charged. I was furious and took my complaint all the way to the top of the presinct. It was completely wrong and I was not going to let it go. I don't know what came of it though.