Getting fit in order to join the police force.

Does anyone have any experience when it comes to instensive training before going to the academy?
I'm a bit of a slop, and my self diciplin these days is not the best, but it has been a life long dream of mine to become a policewoman. Does anyone have any experience with going from being a bit of a slob, to actually shaping up and joining the force? Any tips or tricks I could get as to how to keep motivated?
Thank you.

Patrick

A good mix of cardio and strength training should be done, to ensure that you are fit for duty. Not only do you have to be able to sprint quickly or run for prolonged distances, it is also important to fulfill other criteria like strength and agility.

Taking part in MMA classes is also a good way to train up for physical combat, when you might not have access to your firearm.

Rainman

Just add a little bit to what Patrick has said. You must pass a physical fitness test before being accepted into the police academy.
The test includes the 300-meter run, bench press (percentage of body weight) sit-ups (within 1 minute) and the 1.5-mile run.
This may vary from State to State but if you focus on training to pass the test since you know what's expected, you'll be well on your way to being let into the police academy and probably becoming a police officer six months later.

All the best!

soconfused

Now this is way better, get them to take physical training and only the people who clear it by international standards would be allowed to join. good advice!