Giving an account of oneself?

thegrey1

I have been told that a person always has to be able to give an account of himself to the police, eg,walking down the street. Is it true that the police can stop you and just randomly ask for i.d? Seems like an invasion of privacy unless there's a good reason attached to it.

JoanMcWench

It's happened numerous times to me. Usually it's preempted by 'someone who has committed a crime fits your description'. So, I can argue with them about whether it's legal to pull me over but they will let me know that indeed they do have probable cause.

Rainman

I do think they have the right to stop you. The police can't afford to take any chances. However since I live in a small town and the only offenses ever committed here tend to be traffic related offenses [mostly] you'll only be stopped if . . .

Should I be stopped by police on the street and asked for an I.D then I'd gladly humor them.

Patrick

They might have been looking for a wanted criminal in the vicinity. Usually since there's no harm in cooperating and it won't take much of my time I just comply with their requests. I usually am allowed to get on with whatever I was doing after a couple of minutes.

Gabe

When I lived in the US I was advised always to take ID in case I was stopped. This is because of illegal immigrants and also they have the right to ask you to identify yourself in public. I was in a University town so it was okay, but I didn't mind because you get asked for ID whenever you buy a drink anyhow which find more annoying.

missbishi

It's happened numerous times to me. Usually it's preempted by 'someone who has committed a crime fits your description'. So, I can argue with them about whether it's legal to pull me over but they will let me know that indeed they do have probable cause.

I've had this too. I'm pretty sure it's just a standard line they use as an excuse for stopping anyone they don't like the look of!

Gelsemium

Usually the police knows the law better than we do, but if we have nothing to hide there is really no problem. We can ask for the police to identify themselves though.

DancingLady

I don't think they would stop and ask for ID if you are just walking down the sidewalk, minding your own business, unless you happen to fit the description for someone they are looking for. If that's the case, and you are not the person, they will just check your ID, find that you are not who they are looking for and move on. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It is highly unlikely they would want to waste time without a good reason.

thegrey1

When I lived in the US I was advised always to take ID in case I was stopped. This is because of illegal immigrants and also they have the right to ask you to identify yourself in public. I was in a University town so it was okay, but I didn't mind because you get asked for ID whenever you buy a drink anyhow which find more annoying.
LOL I don't think they are ever allowed to ask for proof of citizenship from potential illegals! Thanks for the replies. I wondered if it might be a state issue, or if it was legal at all.