Governor Replaces Loyd Prosecutor Over Death Penalty Protest

Anthony

Super Moderator
Florida Governor Rick Scott has removed the prosecutor from the high-profile murder case after State Attorney Aramis Ayala announced Thursday morning that she would not be seeking the death penalty.

"I am outraged and sickened by this loss of life, and many families' lives have been forever changed because of these senseless murders," said Governor Scott. "These families deserve a state attorney who will aggressively prosecute Markeith Loyd to the fullest extent of the law and justice must be served."

The governor asked Ayala to recuse herself from the murder case. When she said no, Scott dismissed her.

"I have determined the death penalty is not in the best interest of this community or best interest of justice," said Ayala. "I've been unable to find any credible evidence that death penalty increases safety for law enforcement officers."

Markeith Loyd, 41, is accused of killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend, 24-year-old Sade Dixon on December 13th, and Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton on January 9th.

Orlando Police Chief John Mina said he disagreed with Ayala, and approved governor Loyd's decision.

"I have seen he video of Markeith Loyd executing Lt. Debra Clayton while she lay defenseless on the ground, Chief John Mina said." "She was given no chance. A cop killer, who also killed his pregnant girlfriend, should not be given that chance." "The heinous crime that he committed in our community is the very reason we have the death penalty as an option under the law."