Hero Officers Thread: Let's Hear Stories!

Kate

I can't begin to describe how annoyed I get hearing people in blogs, media, forums, etc. etc. going on about officers in the news with negative stories. Let's hear some of the good... it greatly outweighs the bad, and yet in today's [what I call] "zombie society" we hear so much of the bad while the good is pushed aside. GRRRRR.

Sooooo, I will start. There's an officer in Mexico named Pedro Pena. Instead of just watching flood waters whisk away a truck, he jumped onto the truck and saved the life of a 4 year old little boy. Kudos, Officer Pena! Video of the rescue found here:

[video=youtube;LO_CAyeKH5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO_CAyeKH5I[/video]

Kate

This is nothing short of amazing... I can't help but wondering how many people would have done the same.

An elderly man in diabetic shock hit a gas pump... it exploded. Off-duty officer was there ready to pump his own gas... ran right over there to pull the man to safety.

Kudos to Officer John A. Vescio today!

[video=youtube;SKwvk7_Var0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwvk7_Var0[/video]

Profit5500

Both of those cases are amazing stories to remember here. I too would give kudos to Officer Pena and Off Duty Officer John A. Vescio. Even when not in uniform they saved lives.

DancingLady

Kudos to both of them for their courage. I hope they know how many people admire them for doing that.

Profit5500

Its really hard to find good police officers these days. Most of the ones where I live are jerks and only care about drugs.

sharpayvargas1

Don't be upset if everyone seems to be curious only about negative things that police officers do. Maybe you just need to earn their trust again because as far as know, you have really lost it. Doing good things is part of your job so usually, it cannot be appreciated. Anyway, it's good to know that you have two officers you can be proud of for doing these two great deeds. They are brave and do not hesitate to help even if they are off-duty.

Profit5500

Don't be upset if everyone seems to be curious only about negative things that police officers do. Maybe you just need to earn their trust again because as far as know, you have really lost it. Doing good things is part of your job so usually, it cannot be appreciated. Anyway, it's good to know that you have two officers you can be proud of for doing these two great deeds. They are brave and do not hesitate to help even if they are off-duty.
Being a good person is always a tough thing even if your partners are the ones who are wrong. Doing good deeds are a tough commitment. its a rewarding experience to save the people who are unappreciative of what you do for them and its not your fault. Keep doing right and those folks will soon know to trust you.

Muthoni

Thanks for bringing this up; most people are so negative that they are not interested in the good news. Have you noticed that the main news bulletin is full of bad news? That is what sells because the majority in a population are happy when bad things happen. Thanks for starting the threat; the police do great work every day that goes unnoticed.

Kate

Thanks for bringing this up; most people are so negative that they are not interested in the good news. Have you noticed that the main news bulletin is full of bad news? That is what sells because the majority in a population are happy when bad things happen. Thanks for starting the threat; the police do great work every day that goes unnoticed.

Well, @Muthoni , I'd really like to say that I haven't noticed the negativity, but... :( nope, can't say that because it's gotten a lot worse as the years go by.

Yes, the front pages of newspapers and websites are saturated with the negative news. *Maybe* a "feel-good" story will find its way to another part of the paper/site, but sometimes those kinds of stories are totally ignored and not reported at all, too. Not enough sensationalism and drama.

I think more people who have the power to change the media's grip on society should realize that reporting good as well as bad may actually have a ripple effect and change things around a little bit. Yes, I'm a dreamer, but I figure it's worth a try since nothing else ever seems to work.

shreklock

If only there more officers like this. I'm sure there are, but their actions don't get caught on camera and people simply don't appreciate them.