Homeless Man Shot and Killed by... *12* Year Old

Kate

I just heard this today. It's hard to comprehend but yes, a 12 year old has been accused of killing a homeless man in Jacksonville, Florida. Seems that kids who have gotten into trouble before have been hanging out during the night at that particular area. :(

Any thoughts on what is likely to happen to this alleged killer (because of his age) if found guilty?

wulfman

Yep and everyone is in favor of being able to carry guns. Bet you with a rock he wouldn't have died :p

Only 12 years old he will get off. juvenile prison maybe. His lawyer will use the "wasn't mature enough to know what he was doing" bullshit.

askanison

Yep and everyone is in favor of being able to carry guns. Bet you with a rock he wouldn't have died :p

Only 12 years old he will get off. juvenile prison maybe. His lawyer will use the "wasn't mature enough to know what he was doing" bullshit.

Don't be too sure about that. Most judges now are choosing to look at the crime and If severe and violent enough they are choosing to try the minor as an adult. Depending on the crime and amount of violence used I don't see any problem trying a minor as an adult. The problem is the system you are throwing that minor in is corrupt as heck.

Profit5500

Don't be too sure about that. Most judges now are choosing to look at the crime and If severe and violent enough they are choosing to try the minor as an adult. Depending on the crime and amount of violence used I don't see any problem trying a minor as an adult. The problem is the system you are throwing that minor in is corrupt as heck.

This boy could get charged as an adult which means another essence of destroyed youth. I could remember a 13 year old boy in Stockton California shot more than one person and then got tried as an adult. Its sad that teens become vicious adults at such a young age.

bala

Twelve years old and out of the house at 2:25 a.m.??..How did their parents even allow them.How were the police able to conclude that it was not the 16 yr old who pulled the trigger..?
That 12 year old if found guilty,really needs some medication.

Kate

There's that rock again... I truly don't know if you're suggesting seriously that Americans shouldn't be allowed their 2nd amendment rights, or if you're.. I don't know. In case you *are* serious, do you honestly think murderers will turn in their guns just because they're told to? "Okay, bad dudes and dudettes, line up here and hand over your weapons like good little boys and girls." NOT going to happen!

I don't think he'll get off.. this isn't battery or grand theft or any other crimes he may get off for... this is cold blooded murder. The lawyer can use whatever he or she wants... I don't think it will work.

Determined2014

He is guilty of murder, je will have to be charged as a juvinile and then later on he will be transfered to the right facility when he gets to be 18, I would also think that he would be charged with possesion of an armed weapon,which will lead to how he got access the gun,he is definately going to do some long time in jail.

ItsZiggy

We are, and every time a gun is used in a violent act everyone suddenly blames all the law-abiding citizens who most have never harmed a single person in their life. It's an illogical way of thinking if that seems to be a solution to violent crime.

PhilA

Will he get tried as a juvenile in the state of Florida? This is a tragic story, another young life wasted.

stevesxs9

Another sad point is this kid probably don't realize the magnitude of his crime. That to me is a very serious problem that comes from these thoughtless acts.

dannybuntu

This is getting out of hand. More and more crimes are being committed by more and more juveniles. Juvenile prison gives them an opportunity to amend their ways. At first, I held the opinion that these kids should be sent in with the hardened convicts in the regular prison. But then I thought about it again.

Kids do stupid things for stupid reasons. But putting them in with hardened criminals is a waste both in time and in taxpayer's money. I mean think about it. These kids probably grew up with the wrong parents if any, with the wrong crowd and with the wrong mind set about life.

Juvenile prison is society's way of saying, "Hey, this isn't what life is all about. There's a better way."

In this case, I guess if the kid does get sent to juvenile prison then the justice system of that place leans more towards the reformative aspect of the criminal justice system rather than the retribution aspect.

Profit5500

This is getting out of hand. More and more crimes are being committed by more and more juveniles. Juvenile prison gives them an opportunity to amend their ways. At first, I held the opinion that these kids should be sent in with the hardened convicts in the regular prison. But then I thought about it again.

Kids do stupid things for stupid reasons. But putting them in with hardened criminals is a waste both in time and in taxpayer's money. I mean think about it. These kids probably grew up with the wrong parents if any, with the wrong crowd and with the wrong mind set about life.

Juvenile prison is society's way of saying, "Hey, this isn't what life is all about. There's a better way."

In this case, I guess if the kid does get sent to juvenile prison then the justice system of that place leans more towards the reformative aspect of the criminal justice system rather than the retribution aspect.
You hit it right on the nail dannybuntu these kids do not have the good parents like certain kids do. I feel more bad for some of them since they never had much of the parents in their lives. Most of them end up in foster care or group homes and you know how that system is.

Kate

I was intending to do a follow-up on this story today, but I can't find anything more about it. I can get the homeless man's name, but because of the thing on not naming juveniles in these cases, I can only get "12 year old boy" and can't find an update.

Which brings me to a question... do ya'll agree with the media agreement... or law, or whatever it is, that won't name juvies even if murder is involved?

urbanletter

I don't know what the laws are like in Florida, but in some states the kid would be charged as an adult. The reason would stem more from the fact that he used a gun. Judges are getting tough about gun crimes no matter the age of the perpetrator.

DancingLady

I agree with not naming juveniles. If the suspect is not found guilty, being named in the media as a suspect would potentially destroy the person's reputation anyway, even though they are not guilty. A minor does not have the resources an adult has, so if their reputation is destroyed in the media even though they are not guilty, they don't have much of a chance to have friends, to be treated fairly by teachers, to get a job when they graduate. I have heard that most of the juveniles in detention are not hardened criminals, they are kids who think their life is already over. We need to reach out to these kids and help them learn how to live in society, not just lock them away and reinforce the idea that they are the scum of society and have no value anymore. That feeling is likely what got them into the criminal behavior in the first place.

Kate

I agree with not naming juveniles. If the suspect is not found guilty, being named in the media as a suspect would potentially destroy the person's reputation anyway, even though they are not guilty. A minor does not have the resources an adult has, so if their reputation is destroyed in the media even though they are not guilty, they don't have much of a chance to have friends, to be treated fairly by teachers, to get a job when they graduate.

For many crimes I agree... but do you still feel this way knowing that the topic is about a cold blooded murder caught on video? Just hide them and let them go on to have their friends, go to school, get a job... life as usual? (Not much change of being found innocent when it's all on the video, now is there?)

LuckyGirl08

I blame the parents of the child for this. They should not allow their 12 year old to be in the streets that late and definitely not allow them to have a fire arm. The parents should also be charged even though the child is the one who committed the crime.

Riggy

It wouldn't surprise me that this happened. Children these days are raised terribly and it's honestly worrying just how bad things will be in twenty years time when they have children AND are adults. Children are not thought consequences any more and parents are too soft now. Children get away with anything nowadays and this is proof. Terrible!

Jokester050288

Seriously a 12 year old with a gun wtf the world coming to. I remember when i was growing i didn't even know what a real gun looked like. Now we got every little kid trying to be a so called "thug" so they won't get picked on. When I was growing up our fists did the talking.

Rainman

Any thoughts on what is likely to happen to this alleged killer (because of his age) if found guilty?
The attorneys will do all it takes so he isn't tried as an adult. Homeless people hardly get any justice so I'm sure the D.A won't push too hard for the kid to be tried as an adult. Kids are getting more vicious these days and I hope the verdict is harsh enough. at 12, someone is old enough to know that shooting someone is wrong.