How can I keep the peace? Why would I need to move?

pandabear1991

If it gets that bad, I would just move if I'm not buying the house that I'm in. If things get confrontational after all of the complaints you've made against them to the police and you get physically hurt, file a law suit against the police for not enforcing the law. I've never had neighbors that bad but I've had some bad ones before, so I know what you mean.

This is much how I feel about it. I have lived in a handful of places (on my own) and even with my dogs, never had neighbor problems. If my dogs were doing things they were not supposed to (like jumping the fence to chase squirrels and tearing into garbage) we found ways to fix our fencing and to teach our dogs better--never cursed my neighbors or caused them problems, and our kids still played together daily. At this point I had like 8 neighbors at one time and no problems! Why would I try to be mean/messy with these neighbors? But I am renting, and unfortunately I am not willing to pay $700 a month for a 2 bedroom with window unit air. Therefore, I am having to wait to move to another area at the end of the school year. Hopefully things can stay under control in between now and then.

Gabe

"If you cannot afford your own attorney, you may represent yourself." This was stated from the judge during my plea date on Feb 24th. The prosecutor never spoke to me until both parties were present to give a hearing last week (March 24th). Seriously could not afford one though. At the time I had pressed the charges against them for Disturbing the Peace, my husband was working a good job and an attorney was affordable. He lost his job about a week after we found out the judge had signed the warrant, which is the day they pressed charges against me out of retaliation. Really irritates me though because the Sheriff's department insisted that I press charges, then all of a sudden the one Officer who seems to know my neighbors well got involved and everything changed.

I am assuming at this point that by agreeing to represent myself, I turned down the offer for a public defender.

Whoever arrested you, or served the charges against you should have given you your Miranda rights and then you should have asked. By the time of the pleading, usually there is a public defender that can step in if needed as they do all the cases, so that should have been offered. Usually the judge would ask if you have representation, ask if you want representation or not and then ask the public defender if they are willing to represent you. Some states do differ, but if you were not given the option of representation then you could get the case dismissed.

You will need proof, so court records, but when you were arrested were there other witnesses?

pandabear1991

You will need proof, so court records, but when you were arrested were there other witnesses?

My husband was with me when I turned myself in, but he wasn't with me when I was taken back to do paper work. I really wish I could remember--I was VERY UPSET and often when my mind is bouncing around during stress, memory is a bit dull. I was never in cuffs, the rocogg was issued before I turned myself in. There were never any fines either. I am thinking I signed paperwork stating my rights were read to me, but there is only one way to find out.

Honestly, the more I find out about my neighbors the more I realize the court may have done things in a way to "protect" my family... My husband has a new friend at work who has known my neighbors for quite some time. Found out my neighbor shot himself to keep from going to jail one night (which is why he disabled), and also drove his car completely through someones trailer about a year ago (not the only things that were mentioned but these were pretty severe to me). If they would have been found guilty that day and me not, I am sure he would have found ways to get even, and in more ways than I can imagine.

I hate throwing in the towel like this and just trying to find a new place to live and expunging my record, but I feel it may be what is best at this point.

I really appreciate your knowledge Gabe, but it seems my neighbors are the type of "crazy" that need to be avoided.

Gabe

It's without a doubt you ought to move as soon as you can, but just double check that your record is properly expunged with another attorney. I have a feeling it will stay on record, I mean even traffic violations are kept and people can look them up on the internet. That's why I'm not sure that it can be expunged, then you have a record that will come up in searches on the internet.

Diane Lane

The wrong neighbors truly can make your life a living hell. We had an incident here years ago, where a neighbor shot 3 people, one of whom died. it was similar, an ongoing dispute, he said, she said, with drugs and CPS involved, slashing of tires, all leading up to the ultimate shootings. I've had some difficult neighbors, but thankfully, nothing where I was stuck in the situation. I hope y'all are able to move out of there soon, and won't have to deal with this lingering on your record.