How do police deal with stress on thier jobs ?

Profit5500

They probably try to hang out among friends. If they don't have a friend outside of the force then they hang out among other officers.

sillylucy

I think that most people relax with a drink or with their families. It is important to let off some steam and to vent. I wish that there were more programs that help officers learn how to relax.

Profit5500

I think that most people relax with a drink or with their families. It is important to let off some steam and to vent. I wish that there were more programs that help officers learn how to relax.
If you do have a close and supportive family then it is good for you. If you do not have one then it is even harder to find someone to be close to. It is a very stressful job and having to deal with all that danger weakens you a bit.

Gelsemium

This is a good question and to be honest I don't know if I would be able to be a police officer. Just the fact that police officers need to carry a gun at all times would make me too nervous.

May102014

I wonder about this myself. Being in law enforcement is not easy. You see so much ugliest in the human spirit and I wonder does this eventually change an officer's outlook on life to where they may become slightly cynical when engaging with the public. Everyday is a different set of circumstances and you never know who you will encounter or what they might do. Everyday these men and women put their lives on the line and I find it difficult not to become stress out with this reality.

FuZyOn

I think that they probably have a private psychologist for everyone in need since working as a police officer is one of the most stressful jobs. They probably take on some new hobbies too, but I'm not sure about that.

Diane Lane

I've worked with law enforcement in the past (in a civilian capacity), and many of them work out on a regular basis. Often those who work closely together become particularly close, and tend to socialize as a group since outsiders don't understand the ins and outs of the job, and what exactly they deal with on a daily basis. Also, there's a security/safety aspect to that, where they don't have to watch what they say as much as with non-law enforcement. Many participate in sports leagues together, as well, to let off some steam. There are often chaplains, and sometimes therapists, available, as well, to help them cope with particularly difficult aspects of the job. I can't imagine dealing with deaths, murders, rapes, etc., all the time, I'm sure it takes a toll on most, regardless of how many stress management techniques they use.

musicmonster

I have a friend who is a cop and what he does is ge gets to use his leaves to go on a vacation with his family. It is indeed a stressful job, especially the ones doing the whole detective stuff. They need to getaway from work once in a while and forget all about it by spending time with their family. Also, meditation helps.