How do you handle online bullying?

wikdfury

When you receive complaints about online bullying how to do you deal with these complaints? Do adults have grounds to press charges for online bullying and harassment? At when point does it become harassment? I'm sure many are familiar with online comments on Facebook and YouTube, when do those comments cross the line? Is freedom of speech a blanket for all activity?

Rainman

Laws on cyber-bullying vary from State to State. There's action [regardless of where you live] which can be considered a criminal offense. For example, threats about physical harm are taken seriously by cops and the bully would have to be arrested.

How do you tell someone has crossed the line?

Well, if the person on the other side repeatedly posts stuff that's intended to humiliate or threaten you, then that tips the scales. However calling the police doesn't mean they'll help since not all of them are familiar with all these laws about cyber-bullying. You'll have to do some research and if the cops don't know how they'll respond, you'll hand over the material you have and they'll probably help stop the bullying from escalating.

Gabe

Cyber bullying is getting more serious, but it depends on whether the person is a minor or an adult. Also you need to prove that what is said is false, because cyber bullying it in affect libel, legally speaking. If the bullying is direct as in it names someone then hosts are obliged to hand over information to the police to help trace them.

DancingLady

Not all cyber bullying is actually a crime, so first you have to figure out whether the things said or posted are actually against the law, or just people being mean and rude. If you know a crime has been committed you can report it, otherwise the best thing to do is just close your account and stop visiting that site so you don't have to see it.

Gabe

Not all cyber bullying is actually a crime, so first you have to figure out whether the things said or posted are actually against the law, or just people being mean and rude. If you know a crime has been committed you can report it, otherwise the best thing to do is just close your account and stop visiting that site so you don't have to see it.

The problem is if an admin doesn't do anything or a person isn't banned or others say anything, then that bully will carry on and may get worse. People need to understand it's not nice or acceptable behavior. Ignoring it is one thing, but words cannot be forgotten or unread.

JoanMcWench

I prefer dealing with people in person. If ever my son or daughter had a situation where this occurred & they alerted me to said situation I would make a point to deal with it face to face before any other steps are taken. I wouldn't think to contact the police in a situation like this because it seems like something people can handle between one another. Not everything has to be a police matter.

lushlala

It's a complex one, because like DancingLady has pointed out, not all cyber bullying is considered a crime, so you can't always call the police. I appreciate ignoring it doesn't really help the situation, and may actually worsen the behaviour. But I have been on the receiving end of cyber bullying and that's what's worked for me, rising above it and IGNORING such individuals. They're looking to get a rise out of people, I don't entertain them. I just make my point and then freeze them out. They absolutely hate that and soon get bored and look for their next victim. Luckily it's never gone beyond that, because quite frankly, I wouldn't know what to do!

bala

In many cases the police can only get involved if your life has been threatened.If necessary,you can file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).
More importantly discuss it with someone who you might trust,before you take any decision.

FuZyOn

Cyber bullying is something that happens very frequently nowadays, and we can't really stop it. The internet has no restrictions, and it's better to stay away from negative things rather than fight against them.
Just my 0.02$.

missbishi

Here in the UK, cyberbullies are frequently prosecuted. Judges seem to be keen to make an example of these people and the cases always seem to reach the national newspapers. Luckily, it seems to be taken very seriously but it does still occur with alarming frequency.

dyanmarie25

People should always know that there is a fine line between freedom of speech and cyber bullying. I guess everyone must practice "think before you click" thing.