How do you like to be spoken too?

When a citizen is in a position of interacting with a LEO, do you prefer that they speak to you informally, like they would to anyone else, or do you expect a certain amount of respect and subservience, as if they were talking to, say their boss or some other authority figure?

missbishi

I sincerely hope that any cop would want to be spoken to politely and informally. There is something very wrong in having officers who demand to be spoken to as an authority figure. Cops actually serve the public, not the other way around and should be accessible and approachable, not unfriendly and rude.

Gabe

Everyone should speak to one another with respect. The fact they serve the public is no different, but you shouldn't be rude to anyone and they don't need to be subservient. It's like buying something in a store or talking to the bus driver. They have the right to remove you or not serve you if you are rude. The public have a false belief of entitlement, because we pay their wages we can behave in such a manner. No, they are humans, but their actions are accountable.

Rainman

Police officers expect you to be respectful and a little bit subservient. I think the reason police resort to using force when they feel their authority is being questioned. Talking informally could be misconstrued as levity and the cops may not like that. It's better IMHO to at least pretend you are submissive when interacting with police officers.

Gelsemium

Police officers like any other people would like to be treated with respect, this is a no-brainer for me. If people don't treat them with respect they are just asking for trouble.

JoanMcWench

It's rare that I ever see an interaction where someone tries to approach any officer at any level in an informal way.

'Hey, Rick, this B right here hit me for no reason. You know how women be. Am I right?'

No, I don't see that working out the way you want.

Oh, I wasn't meaning " talking you you talk to everyone else" if the way you talk to other people is like a ghetto kingpin drug lord. I mean like normal people talking to normal people.

dyanmarie25

Everyone should be treated with respect, whether you're a superior or just a regular person. You should not belittle anyone, just try to be polite, and I'm pretty sure that you'll get the same treatment as well.

Profit5500

When a citizen is in a position of interacting with a LEO, do you prefer that they speak to you informally, like they would to anyone else, or do you expect a certain amount of respect and subservience, as if they were talking to, say their boss or some other authority figure?
A lot of the cops I see prefer that you address them as sir or if they are female mam when interacting with them. I think it is not too hard addressing a cop. You just have to make sure that you do not screw up when talking to them.

FuZyOn

I've found out that cops really like to be respected. They want to have some kind of authority so that's why you need to treat them good.
Also, most of the cops like friendly people. People who are relaxed and not nervous with everything they say.