How long is a shift?

Rosyrain

How many hours do you work in a single day if you are a cop? And, if you are on a call when it is typically your time to get off work, you obviously can't just leave, so how are you compensated for the extra time worked?

Profit5500

How many hours do you work in a single day if you are a cop? And, if you are on a call when it is typically your time to get off work, you obviously can't just leave, so how are you compensated for the extra time worked?
I think that they work like 8 hours a day full time. If you are a homicide detective then you can forget going home very much. Those poor guys and gals have to work long days constantly.

Lizel

Some departments have 5 8-hour days per week, some have 4 10-hour days a week, but most in my area work 12 hour shifts, either 3 on/ 3 off or 4 on/ 4 off.

JoanMcWench

If I were given the choice I'd be working longer hours with less days. I've been that way with any hourly job but this one would especially suit that preference. I'd like being on the beat for a longer period of time so I get a better feel of what's going on in the area.

Profit5500

Some departments have 5 8-hour days per week, some have 4 10-hour days a week, but most in my area work 12 hour shifts, either 3 on/ 3 off or 4 on/ 4 off.
Three days a week for 12 hours man that would not be too bad to do. At least then you would have 5 days off to relax.

Rosyrain

I think that they work like 8 hours a day full time. If you are a homicide detective then you can forget going home very much. Those poor guys and gals have to work long days constantly.

I once interviewed a homicide detective and they really do have to live their job because they are always on call. They can go home after a long day at the office only to have to get back in the car and go back to work if duty calls.

Rainman

In my home town a shift during the day is like 8 hours. The night shift is somewhat longer — 12-14 hours. But I doubt they stay up all night long so it isn't too bad.

Gelsemium

Yep, regular shifts are 8 hours, but night shifts can be longer, but when this happens officers also have more time off, an extra day if I am not mistaken.

RingoBerry

A shift is usually 8 to 10 hours long depending on the type of job a person has. At my work place for example, our roving security consists of two teams with three people on each team. Each guard is assigned to an 8 hour shift hence three of them covers 24 hours.

For me, a regular office employee, I work from 9 am to 5 PM but I always stay for another hour or two just to recheck recheck the stuff I managed to finish and set my list of tasks for the next day.

ally79

In my area for beat cops and patrol officers it is all based on a 12 hour shift so you get three days on and three days off. However, if you are a detective or an investigator there are no set hours. You go in when you have to. Unfortunately for officers most crimes don't happen between the hours of 9 and 5.