Humor

ABC123

How often do people try to use humor to get out of a ticket for any reason they were pulled over? Anyone have examples of humor that had been used that got them out a ticket or not? Just asking, because I watched Fluffy the comedian on comedy central and he had mentioned his friend trying this?

Rainman

I think trying to use humor would land you in "hotter water" so to say. Most police officers I've met detest levity of any sort when they're on duty. I've heard of people getting away with some absurd excuses but I guess those police officers were probably in a good mood.

"I'm sorry officer for speeding, but without my glasses I can't hardly see the speedometer."

Gabe

It depends on the situation, but I wouldn't recommend humor either as it can be seen as sassy and flippant. I haven't had that kind of interaction with the police, but answering what you need to and no more is the best way in my opinion. Women may flirt and it sometimes works or if someone claims stupidity or acts it, but humor can be taken the wrong way.

Gelsemium

I was never that bold to be honest. If I am caught speeding I get too nervous and I just say yes or no, I don't want to make my situation even worse.

JoanMcWench

I think trying to use humor would land you in "hotter water" so to say. Most police officers I've met detest levity of any sort when they're on duty. I've heard of people getting away with some absurd excuses but I guess those police officers were probably in a good mood.

"I'm sorry officer for speeding, but without my glasses I can't hardly see the speedometer."

Well, sure I can agree with that: If you're not funny. It's a dangerous thing to assume you're funny & trying it out in that scenario is probably not the best of circumstances.

missbishi

It's probably best not to try and joke your way out of things - some officers won't take kindly to that. Maybe it's best to just be polite and admit that you've made a mistake (assuming that you have, of course!)