If you had no priors and were caught stealing....

Shimus

how would you deal with the person in question? Warning? Slap on the hand? Community service and a fine? Probation? There are plenty of options, what would YOU personally do, and why? Be sure to leave a detailed explanation so we can see where you're coming from.

primalclaws1974

I am not an officer, but if I was, I would likely follow it by the book. Small theft probably wouldn't even be jail. The person would be arrested and get a mugshot and fingerprints. They may or may not have to pay a small amount for bail before being released. I would like to think an officer would not let someone go in a case like this.

Rosyrain

In most jurisdictions the first offense is a slap on the wrist if the item stolen was of low value. The person will usually still have to go to court and pay a fine, but there is usually no jail time involved. The person would most likely have to pay a fine to the store that they stole from too, so it can be an expensive crime. You are better off just paying for the item in the first place.

Profit5500

how would you deal with the person in question? Warning? Slap on the hand? Community service and a fine? Probation? There are plenty of options, what would YOU personally do, and why? Be sure to leave a detailed explanation so we can see where you're coming from.
If I were the judge and the person was caught stealing then I would give them some community service at least 40 hours. Then I would also tack on a $200 fine. After all that I would be able to offer some sort work service to help the individual earn a honest living so they can learn what that means.

Shimus

If I were the judge and the person was caught stealing then I would give them some community service at least 40 hours. Then I would also tack on a $200 fine. After all that I would be able to offer some sort work service to help the individual earn a honest living so they can learn what that means.

This is exactly what happened to me on my first offense (AND LAST, at least to date). I got roughly 40 hours and a fine of 177 dollars, and the item was a pack of gum. I was a stupid kid, only 14. Learned my lesson after I cleaned my school where I went too after school let out until comm service was done.

This to me is the right thing to do. Making someone work Comm Service is a good way to get them to understand the value of a hard days work and (at the very least) if they're bad at it, the punishment only gets worse so it makes you want to do better.

Since my lapse in judgment, I'm 28 now. Not another issue since. I think it taught me that stealing was wrong and that I didn't want to have to deal with the police.

Owl

I gotta agree with some community service on that one. I've had plenty of friends get in trouble for shoplifting before and it's not that big a deal as long as you tell them why it's wrong...it's becoming more and more accepted that teenagers do it these days, though. It sucks.

Shimus

I guess at least it isn't committing suicide or killing people, so there are worse things. But still, we never want to see people steal things as "a right of passage" - that notion is born from the fact the young don't have the money to afford things but they see everyone getting them and just don't understand why they're different. Most of that is parenting, but more of it may be the person's own mindself.

haitch

I think that if people are caught stealing and are having money troubles instead of recieving a fine they need to be directed to groups that help with finance. For this to be achievable I believe that this could be an alternative to community service. If they don't turn up more action will have to be taken.