In addition to the sex talk

SamClemensMT

You know at some point we have to talk to our kids about sex. I wonder if we should also take the time to talk to our kids about how to interact with the police. Knowing how to conduct yourself can go a long way in police community relations. Often times it's kid who are being abused by police officers, and I just wonder if the kids aren't fueling a lot of this simply by not showing respect for the authority which police are trusted with.

Rule number one: When a cop gives you a lawful and reasonable command you obey.

Rule number two: Listen and don't speak.

Rule number three: Don't run from the police, argue with them, or antagonize them in any way.

Rule number four: If your being arrested, don't speak to anyone but your parents or your lawyer.

If there is any action that must be sorted out. Let the lawyers sort it out.

This is the talk after the sex talk.

Peachdejour

Oh! OMG! Sam someone is going to say you are being insensitive for expecting your children to be reasonable human beings. On a serious note, this should be a conversation all children should have with their parents way before the sex talk. Our children should have a reasonable amount of respect for community and authority. Now, I am not saying our children should be little programmed robots, but they should realize that our police officers are fellow humans beings trying to make the world a better place. If they are being law-abiding citizens, there should be no reason for them to act like fools. If you make a mistake, pay the consequences and learn your lesson. We are all humans.

bala

I second that .Though the situation here ain't like the US,it is better if we fall in line with what the cops say.After all they have a legal backup to whatever they do.Sex talk too is a requisite but in the recent spate of events the 'cop-talk" takes a top notch priority.

Patrick

This is pretty common sense and should be taught to your children way before the sex talk. I think many points tie in nicely with treating people with mutual respect and practicing good manners.

rga1999

I absolutely think that you should talk with your kids about how to speak to cops. Similar to how we teach our kids to talk to their elders, vs their friends. I believe having both talks about sex and cops are essential in child development. At the same time every parent has to realize when that time is to have that chat.

Whitewolf2578

Well when I was in California, I would have had this kind of talk with my kids to be about law enforcement. I just moved to Montana though and people respect law enforcement out here because it is a bit more like the Wild Wild West out here. I would still tell my kids about it though, good point.

Josie

That lists makes me sad. They're just people. And we're not dogs.

That said though, I have spoken to my kids about this. I have a special needs son and it's a necessary talk because of how the police handle special needs people. They're dying because cops don't have proper training. It's horrible. I will not have a dead son on my hands because they don't know what they're doing and all that matters is they're obeyed like blue gods. I know it sounds like I hate cops.. I don't. The arrogance and lack of training though.. ugh.

missbishi

Great post Sam! Of course, someone will be along soon to say how dare you suggest that their little snowflake would ever need to speak to an officer. However, it's ignorance like this that gets people into trouble in the first place. @Josie, I know you don't hate cops - you just love your son. However, nobody seems to know how to deal with those who have special needs, least of all cops. I do wish more was done in this area.

Gelsemium

I feel that we should address a police officer pretty much as we would any other people, with respect. Something a proper education should provide, but sadly we see less and less.

bala

I feel that we should address a police officer pretty much as we would any other people, with respect. Something a proper education should provide, but sadly we see less and less.
Are u telling this because they wield power or in instance that they should be respected for the deeds they do.Just clarifying because this thought too can change a child's perception about talking to a cop.

GlacialDoom

I don't think a "talk after the sex talk" is necessary, at least not where I live. Here, you just gotta behave like a normal citizen, and unless you do anything wrong, you don't have to fear the police. Basically, it's all good in here, all working as intended.

Rosyrain

I have had the police talk with both of my kids numerous times, it is the other kind of talk you mentioned that I am having a really hard time trying to start with them. Luckilly my daughter has a health class at school and they cover some of that stuff. Both of my kids know that the police are there to help them if they are in danger and that the police are the good people, but have to punish some people when they break the law or are very bad.

shilpa123

It all depends on how the children are taught to live. It is common sense and should be said to the children before sex talk. I do believe it all depends on the mentality.

Rainman

It's the parent's duty to teach children everything. Sex-talk as a matter of fact shouldn't be viewed as being that difficult because the kids already know enough about it, all you'll be doing as a parent is give them the right guidance which they don't get from friends. As for telling them how to interact with police, I think this "education" should be started early so as the kid grows they know what to do when interacting with police officers.

dyanmarie25

I totally agree with this. I always believe in equality, but I think it's not being practiced well in this world.

dez97

Although these are all very common things that students/kids should know their are a lot of kids in the world who just don't know how to conduct and behave themselves properly. So I think these are all great ways for the student to learn what they should and shouldn't do. If they don't know.