In any circumstance can you defend yourself against police brutality?

stevesxs9

I don't think there is too much success in winning that case. Remember there has been many instances where Police have been caught on tape beating up suspects and the jury still finds them innocent of any wrong doing. So if you fight back, you automatically put yourself in harms way and lose what rights you have.

RingoBerry

If what you mean by "defend yourself" is fighting back - that wouldn't be advisable. These not so nice cops can easily say you attacked them first hence justifying them hurting you and can even put you to jail for it because there is a law against attacking police officers. The best thing I can think of is immediately getting a physical after I got roughed up by cops. The trick is choosing a lawyer. Someone who feels strongly about human rights would be a good choice.

shilpa123

Where i live the women can prevent themselves from going to the police station after 6 in the eveningm it is a rule so that the police cannot miss behave with woman at night. it helps the women to protect themselves against police brutality for some extent.

dyanmarie25

Of course, you can defend yourself if you think that the police officer is somehow abusing their power over you. Just because they've got the upper hand doesn't mean you always have to stay like an underdog. But of course, you don't want to get into a fight with a police.

thegrey1

First of all, I don't agree that this is an honest premise. It just sounds like a hypothetical situation that could possibly happen in some universe. Logically if someone is beating you up for absolutely no reason, you are expected to defend yourself. If that someone happens to be a sociopathic cop, it is probably not going to end well for you! That is everybody's worst nightmare!

jesuslover0314

This is a tough question.. I bet you can defend yourself if you are being beat by an officer, but it wouldn't be easy because other police officers would come in and help that officer. So I suppose you could beat this in court if you were to protect yourself.

Kamarsun1

Under common law it would sound like the only just thing to do, no one has the right to brutalize another person. Cop or not, you have the right to defend yourself, now can you get the courts to see your claim, yes you could be not without crystal clear evidence, when you go to court the judge and the Prosecutor are going to take sides with the cop, so the chips are already stacked against you.

Determined2014

The way things go this days, I doubt one would even have the chance to defend themselves, it looks like you will get shot just as you begin to defend yourself, then they will say that, they were defending themselves because you were not listening, but more power to those who have actually succeeded.

shilpa123

In my country women have certain benefits of avoiding certain amount of police brutality. Also the women are given a little more respect by the police when compared to men. I do not think other countries have the provision.

Josie

I don't care what anyone says, you are never ever ever allowed to fight back when it's a cop doing the beating. You will end up dead.