Injuries and becoming a police officer

Nonn

I have a pretty bad neck after being rear ended by another vehicle. Would this prevent me from becoming a cop?

lushlala

I'm no expert on the subject, but somehow I don't see this being a problem! But I hope some more knowledgeable members will be able to shed some light on your question. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a problem, seeing as apparently being too smart can be a hindrance LOL

Gabe

I doubt it very much unless you failed the fitness test because of the injury.There are other jobs that may not require a level of physical fitness, but whiplash is a common problem and most people recover with no repercussions.

missbishi

I wouldn't have thought it would cause any problems at all as long as you still have full range of movement in your neck. Your bet bet is to check directly with the department though.

DancingLady

It probably would not unless you have difficulty moving quickly because of it. I don't know what you mean exactly by "bad neck". That could mean anything from chronic tight muscles to alignment issues to damaged disks. If you have tight muscles that can be dealt with by getting massage and using heat to relax it. More serious issues you might want to get some chiropractic care and assessment as to how the job might affect you long term.

JoanMcWench

It's going to depend on the severity. If you feel like it's bad enough to question now, it may very well be. It doesn't hurt to look into it if you're serious. They have camps where you run certain police training for fun. Not involving guns, riots, & hostage situations, of course, but enough to test whether you're physically capable of a few things.

calicer1996

How bad is it really? The type of job you might get will be affected by your health status. That's the reality. It depends upon the severity of your injury.

bala

Do you have problems in turning around or anything with the angle ?? If not you can consider yourself safe to be fit for selection.
Shoul have any more quereis on it,you can verify with the dept itself to hear on any real updates.

dyanmarie25

That could hinder your dream of becoming a police officer. Since you have injury, there would be a possibility that you might fail the physical exam. Well, just try to recover for now.