Is it a good idea to become a police officer nowadays?

FuZyOn

I've read a lot about how at the moment there aren't a lot of people who are interested in police academies.
Why do you think that happens? Is it because the salary? Or is it because nowadays it's very risky? Is it worth to pursue this career?

Profit5500

I've read a lot about how at the moment there aren't a lot of people who are interested in police academies.
Why do you think that happens? Is it because the salary? Or is it because nowadays it's very risky? Is it worth to pursue this career?
I think its because the fact that police are getting more harsher criticism these days due to the shooting incidents of unarmed folks. If you do become a police officer in these times good luck with dodging bullets from those who really want cops dead.

dyanmarie25

I think being a police is not just merely about getting a job, it's more about your passion. If you really want to help other people, I mean, be able to protect them from harm, I guess that no matter how risky it would or how low the salary would be, you will still choose to become a police because it's your true calling in life.

Gelsemium

I think that being a police officer had to be a calling, having the need to serve, but in practical terms it ends being a good job too, we get paid to be trained and we get an honest job where we get to help others.

Rainman

Police work is risky and of late the media has been bashing cops too much. That sort of criticism can make a job look less appealing and because of that, fewer people will be interested in it. Then there's the existing negative attitude towards the police in many communities. When one thinks about how he'll always living on the edge wondering when someone might try to "get back at them" they'll not even consider being cops unless it's the only option.

JoanMcWench

It's always been a difficult career choice. Were there time periods where the police were more respected & idolized? Sure. But it's always been a dangerous job that's been through a lot of different public opinions. It seems to be like a pendulum. If a catastrophe were to occur & police officers died saving people the winds would shift again. It's always been this way.

Nate

I think nowdays, it's a combination of both. Salary, and risk. I hear they are letting a lot more people join the academy. I saw a cop at a red light 2 days ago, and I had to do a double take because it looked like a 16 year old kid in a police suit. I'm sure he was about 20 or so. Also, when did they start letting 18 yr olds be police officers? Seems to me when I was growing up, cops were always like 30-50yrs old. Of course things change though.