Is it alright for a police officer to have tattoos?

cjdatk

Is it alright for a police officer to have tattoos, I have read different things on the subject.

Marishu

Most of the time they want a clean body instead of having a tattoo on it cause it can show that people can be even more afraid by mentality and can cause a disruption to cops if it's like hidden I think it's okay but like most jobs won't hire you cause you have a tattoo on your body. So I think it goes the same way with cops.

milyjohnson

My friend has tattoos, but she keeps them covered. She said that where she works, they don't want the tattoos to be shown so she will cover them up. I guess she should have listened when I told her about getting the tattoo.

js85

For what it's worth, I saw a police officer on COPS with a very prominent tattoo of a knife on his forearm. I know that isn't a universally approved thing, but I think most people are getting more open-minded about it.

Profit5500

If the department is lenient about tattoos when you do become a officer then maybe. I usually don't see too many of the departments allowing people to have tattoos.

PhilA

I too have seen countless police offers on COPS with very visible tattoos. I think tattoos are becoming more universally accepted everywhere slowly.

Profit5500

I too have seen countless police offers on COPS with very visible tattoos. I think tattoos are becoming more universally accepted everywhere slowly.
I think so too but the police departments like the military try to still have some sort of grooming standards and appearance. They are accepting tattoos but I think it varies on the department that accepts them. I feel soon they may change the hiring for police officers all over. I remember one time on Facebook there was a page displaying police officers with tattoos. I don't know if the page is still there or if it was taken down but I can look and see.

AlexF15

There isn't a law an not having one. I do think that they could, and it'd be very cool to actually see one with a tatoo, like a badge or something lol.

GemmaRowlands

It depends on what it is. Obviously anything that shows any views, or allegiance to any team, would be silly to allow - because it could put the officer at risk. And of course if it can be covered up by uniform then it is unlikely that it would be a problem (and maybe not even known about in the first place). On the whole, though, I strongly believe that if there were equal candidates for a job, and one was covered in tattoos and the other wasn't, it would always be the one who wasn't who would be given the job. I may be wrong on that of course, but I just think that it generally gives a better impression to have a clean body.

js85

I saw a police officer yesterday with a full sleeve of tattoos in my town. I thought immediately of this thread! I think it's totally fine as long as it's not absurd.

Peninha

I think everyone is free to have a tattoo, sure, it depends on where you have it and what sort of tattoo, you are representing the law after all right?

Francisco

Is it alright for a police officer to have tattoos, I have read different things on the subject.

Well it certainly doesn't set a good example for the officer's kids and also for the rest of society. However, they are responsible for law enforcement, and getting tattoos doesn't offend the law. So, in my opinion, it's morally wrong, but ok with the law

Francisco

I think everyone is free to have a tattoo, sure, it depends on where you have it and what sort of tattoo, you are representing the law after all right?
Indeed, the positioning of the tattoo on one's body is absolutely essential. If it is where others can't readily see it because it's covered by their uniforms, then you could say it poses no problem. However, I think it is a bad example for officers to get them, but they are not breaking the law by having them.

LuckyGirl08

Where I am from, almost all of the police here have tattoos that are visible. It really should not matter what is on the officers body, as long they do their job then that is all that should matter. I see nothing wrong with police having tattoos. I actually find it cute. Some of their tattoos make them look tough, especially the ones that have a built body.

JoshPosh

Banned
Does anyone here show up to a job interview with your tattoos blazing? I'm guessing no, unless you are applying for a job in a tattoo shop. A civil servant job such as this, you need to show a clean and professional appearence at all times. If you go to work, cover it up.

Riggy

Just as long as it's not racist or offensive to anyone and it's neat I think it should be fine. Anything on the face or neck should either be very small or not allowed. Mainly due to perhaps disrespect being given to the officer or whatever and it could distract him or her from their work or just cause a scene from some idiot who wants to comment/laugh at it.

Lexi

Nothing wrong with having tattoo's. I have seen many cops with tattoo's and I don't look at them any different. They should be allowed to have tattoo's and not need to hide them or anything.

I happen to like tattoo's!