Is there any psychological training you can do?

bbatv

I saw a post talking about how policeman/women have to be psychologically fit, and was unsure to what I could to do to test myself and improve my psychological capabilities.

Rob93FL

I'm not a police officer, but I've found that the internet has nearly completely desensitized me. I've seen videos and pictures of some pretty gruesome things, and that has helped me deal with seeing some pretty gruesome things in real life. I would imagine that desensitizing yourself would help you stay calm while seeing some pretty harsh things on the job.

Vivat

Psychological training is done overtime via exposure to certain things, or otherwise. It's better to just be used to something rather than have something that can burst at any time, although having both might be good. Not everyone is mentally fit to be a police officer, so start with that.

bala

Now as it goes,the brain imagines things as in nightmares for tough situations.SO if you practically have seen some of them,then psychologically you will be affected but you will be mentally prepared to face it the next time.Something similar to immune system of the body.Most police officers undergo harsh tests to psychologically fit.

nafretiti

There is probably a lot of stuff that you get exposed to while in the force, you have to learn how to control your feelings sometimes I would imagine. You will probably see a lot of things you wouldn't normally see while being with a police force, imagine brutal crimes like decapitation or something. You will not only have to mentally prepare for that,but you'd have to learn how to thrust it from your mind when you do see it otherwise it could really mess you up I think. I'm sure some of the officers around here have seen some pretty disturbing things, and sometimes you just can't get rid of it, in this I think it would kind of throw someone for a loop.