Jurisdiction Question about Hackers

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about jurisdiction when it comes to a hacker, but here it goes. My brother's home computer network got hacked into and it has taken about 6 months for him to figure out where his hacker was originating from. He had to hire a professional computer person to help him. My brother lives in SC and the alleged hacker lives in KS. Information such as identities, personal financial information, and several manuscript files were taken or copied, my brother is a writer. (Sorry, I'm quite a layman when it comes to computer lingo). If he wanted to go about filing charges, what state would he have to contact to get the ball rolling?

DancingLady

Start by contacting your local police and explain what happened. They will know if they have jurisdiction of if you have to file with the city in which the hackers live.

Rainman

Hacking is a federal crime and should be reported to the right authorities [FBI, ICE, etc] but as Dancinglady suggests, reporting the matter to the police could save you some time because they could help you contact the right people who can help you.