Man who confessed to drunk driving in viral video gets 6 1/2 years

Anthony

Super Moderator
Ohio man who confessed in an online video that he killed a man in a June drunken-driving crash, was sentenced Wednesday to six-and-a-half-years.
Matthew Cordle, 22, pleaded guilty last month to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving under the influence. He faced up to 8½ years in prison.
"Whatever my sentence may be, there's no fair sentence when it comes to the loss of a life," Cordle told the judge before the sentence was handed down.
Cordle’s driving privileges were suspended for life, and was ordered to pay court costs and a fine.
He apologized to the family of his victim, Vincent Canzani, who died in the horrific crash. "It should have been me that night, the guilty party, instead of an innocent man," he said.
Cordle made headlines after he posted a 3½-minute video on YouTube in September, he admitted he killed a man and claimed he "made a mistake" when he decided to drive that night. "My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani," he says somberly. "This video will act as my confession."
He also added he will "take full responsibility for everything I've done to Vincent and his family."
Several days after posting the video, Cordle surrendered to authorities.
Prosecutor Ron O'Brien wanted the judge to hand Cordle the maximum sentence of 8½ years. Cordle's attorneys asked for a fair sentence.

Attachments

• zzzzMatthewCordle.jpg
    zzzzMatthewCordle.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 62